• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Will an Intel 1155 ASUS P8Z77-V LX support 3way Crossfire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HalistaX

Hi guys,

I was just wondering, since my rig has the Intel 1155 ASUS P8Z77-V LX motherboard and I've got two GPU's already if I could fit another one in there. I'm no expert at this, If I remember correctly then they are called PCI-E slots, the ones the GPU's have to slide into, right? Well there is one visible just under my bottom card but the space between that one and my PSU is so slim I somehow doubt one can fit in there. It'd at least have no space to breath. I'll try to post some pictures.

The before mentioned GPU's are both R9 290 non-X's, one is Club3D and the other is Gigabyte. The GPU I'm looking to purchase is also Gigabyte, even from the same guy as I bought the other one from.

So, will it blend? The Asus site said It'd fit quad GPU's but honestly, I don't see that happening. Do I need a bigger case? I will also post my specs at the bottom. I have a lingering feeling I will get bottlenecked by my CPU when running games but since I found mining with GPU's, I don't think that'll matter to me as long as I'm getting my hashes. I'm planning on getting a new motherboard, DDR4 RAM and a newer CPU, pref. Skylake later this year, maybe in Mai-August but until then I'm stuck with this one. Would I have to, additionally, have to upgrade my PSU to a 1300w one or something?

- FD Define S ATX Case - Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz & FD Kelvin 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 16GB DDR3 - ASUSTeK P8Z77-V LX (LGA1155) - 2x R9 290 Crossfire - 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD - 500GB Seagate HDD - 2TB Seagate HDD - 3TB Seagate HDD - 1000w BeQuiet PSU

Last edited:
Welcome OCF! :welcome:

The answer is no. Your board does not support 3way SLI. The board only has 2 PCIE slots for 2 graphics cards.

Quad SLI support means it supports 2 graphics cards that are dual GPU each.

A good example of a dual GPU graphics card is the Radeon HD 7990.

Welcome OCF! :welcome:

The answer is no. Your board does not support 3way SLI. The board only has 2 PCIE slots for 2 graphics cards.

Quad SLI support means it supports 2 graphics cards that are dual GPU each.

A good example of a dual GPU graphics card is the Radeon HD 7990.

Thanks for the welcome :)

But yeah, I figured, the space for the 3rd card is just way too slim. Then I guess I'll have to wait buying another card, until I upgrade my CPU/Motherboard. I'm just afraid that I won't be able to find another R9 290 by then and my dreams will be crushed :( The visible PCIE slot is also smaller than regular ones, maybe fit for a PCIE SSD of something with a smaller bus/port.

Anyways, Thanks for the answer and everything. :D

That visible "PCIE" slot is not PCIE. It's a regular PCI slot. Noway a PCIE card will fit in a PCI slot. Square peg round hole.

R9 290's will be found everywhere trust me.

That visible "PCIE" slot is not PCIE. It's a regular PCI slot. Noway a PCIE card will fit in a PCI slot. Square peg round hole.

R9 290's will be found everywhere trust me.
Oh hahaha, I have no Idea what I'm talking about. ;)

I'm actually from Iceland and no retailer here carries one, but there is always the chance for a used one though.

Again, thanks for the answers. I hope I get the chance to use this board again in the future. :)

Back