• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will be new memory be OK?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Immortal_Hero

Will my new memory be OK?

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

^^^ That is what is on the UPS truck to be here today with my new system. I was looking around the Egg and saw this review:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565&SortField=3&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=-1&Page=2 said:
By increasing the voltage to 2.2V, Crucial has allowed memory that would otherwise be sorted out as failed memory chips at the standard 1.8V DDR2 regulation voltage to pass through their hands. By increasing voltage, you increase stability. Even though you're getting a bit more speed, if you were to run these at a standard 667MHz DDR2 CAS5 1.8V rate, you'll get get occassional errors. I guess that's why they rated this as 2.2V memory, but really, these Micron chips would have been (and perhaps should have been) discarded.

Any truth in this? I plan on running them at least 400 MHz right out of the box. I would like to see than more 400 MHz as that will only put my E6750 @ 3.2 GHz. Will they do 450 (3.6 GHz on the CPU)? Anyone else using them? Have any issues? Should I start at 2.2v or lower?

Running them with the following:

• ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
  • EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
  • PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Black) EPS12V 750W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, ULC, CE, CB, RoHS - Retail

Edit: Title should have been "Will my new memory be OK?" if I could type. :bang head

Last edited:
How high is TOO high for these 2.2v Crucials? I have 4 sticks and I have been sticking to the 2.2v. BUt if they can take more I might experiment with getting more out of them.

Question!

How far can I expect to push this memory at 2.2v 4-4-4-12 timings. How far do I have to go before loosening the timings? Can I go above 2.2v?

Back