• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will disabling amd turbo core technology make my CPU run cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danielbourdon

Registered
I just built a new rig, and installed the AMD FX 8350 8 core 4.0ghz black edition! After starting it up with the stock heatsink, I noticed it ran very loud. I applied Arctic Silver 5 on the CPU, so I thought it was odd. I heard a rumor online that by disabling turbo boost in the bios, it would run cooler. I just want to confirm that this would actually help. I don't have the money for a better cooler right now, so this is the only fix i can think. Can someone tell me if this will actually help?

Yes, with turbo disabled you will not use that P-state (higher vcore) thus running slightly cooler. Don't expect too much though.

Depending on the board it may help a lot.
The Gigabyte 990FX-UD5 overvolts the hell out of the CPU when turbo-core is enabled. We're talking bumping my 8150 from ~1.25v stock to 1.45v.

It will, but you'll also lose some performance. If your temps are good, just leave it.

Again, it depends on the motherboard.
In the example of the UD5 when I tested it, it would OC as far as the Turbo Core thing took it at stock volts. Adding 200mV wasn't needed.
Presto, same performance, far less heat.

I ended up not disabling turbo core technolgy! Instead I changed my CPU smart fan target to 60"C, and changed my CPU minimum fan speed to 25%. Now the only time the fan revs up is during gaming or on full load! I'm thinking as long as my temp doesn't go above 60"C, it should be fine. Now my fan is super quite, and my CPU still idles at 40"C. If anyone knows if this does more harm than good, let me know, as I am still new to the FX processors!

Back