• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will I have to upgrade again?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

otoolec

Registered
Does anybody know whether or not the MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard will support the soon-to-be-released AMD Bulldozer processor line? I literally just bought the 890 board a couple weeks ago and I would LOVE to not have to buy the 990 coming out soon to support the new line of CPUs... :bang head

According to AMD there is a socket upgrade, not just bios. Here we go again, no real info. I think AMD is pulling our collective legs. Frankly, I am about to order a CPU in a blue box.:rofl:

So at the risk of making my self sound stupid, is the "Bulldozer" going to be the AMD equivalent of Intel's Sandy Bridge?

The extra pin on the AM3+ socket is supposedly not on the Zambezi series of the AMD Bulldozer line, meaning it would have the same pin footprint as the Phenom II's.

see link:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/MSI-...3-Bulldozer-CPUs-via-BIOS-Update-192632.shtml

I know that this is all speculation so far, but I think I'm going to believe it. It makes sense to me that AMD would release a line of the BD that fits in AM3 sockets for motherboards that have the BIOS update available, so that more people will be likely to purchase it initially. My fingers are crossed!

One more shot. AM3+ sockets are 942 pin, AM3 sockets are 941 pin. If the pins on the Zambezi (.51mm) are bigger than the Phenom (.45mm) then the Zambezi would be a tight fit in the AM3 socket. Are they 2 way compatible?

am3+compare.jpg

Last edited:
Apht3rThawt said:
One more shot. AM3+ sockets are 942 pin, AM3 sockets are 941 pin. If the pins on the Zambezi (.51mm) are bigger than the Phenom (.45mm) then the Zambezi would be a tight fit in the AM3 socket. Are they 2 way compatible?

Again, I can only assume, that if AMD is going to go as far as release the Zambezi line without the extra pin for AM3 support, I would guess that they would also use the small pins, which should still work in the larger pin AM3+ socket because of the way the chip is secured. Again this is only my optimistic-glass-is-half-full guess. :)

Back