• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my HDD work if ......? (newbie question)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bossross

Hi All,
Please for give me for probably a simple question from a newbie!

When upgrading, if I buy a new motherboard, memory and cpu and use the existing HDD with Windows XP on it - is it just a matter of putting the hard drive in the new pc and it will work?

My current setup is
Intel Celeron 331 Prescott 2.66
Asus P5S800-VM
1GB generic DDR Ram
250GB SATA Seagate 8MB 7200rpm

I'm considering upgrading to a
Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86
P5B-Deluxe
Some good memory - not sure yet

My main use is 95% business but im sick of a slow machine!

Thanks Boss Ross

It may boot, but will most probably BSOD as there is waaay to many technical differences between the two. Even if it does, you'll have an old and "dirty" OS install that won't perform optimally. You should always do a fresh OS install with a new motherboard platform.

tuskenraider is right. i managed to do it though, but theres a massive problem with the loading of up XP; it takes ages and now theres like a dual-boot. i suggest you reformat it.

It seems to come down to the bios. I have taken a hard drive from one computer to another and had them boot fine but they were both using the same Award bios.

Just take the extra time and do a fresh install. It will save you pain and frustration down the road. Besides, a nice upgrade like that deserves a fresh install anyway :)

Back