• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my laptop be able a Core i7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheMagicPotato1

I need some help as I want to upgrade my Laptops CPU to an i7 from a Pentium, but I am concerned about the Heat output from the i7,
but just for a note; It was able to handle an Core i5-2540M.

Last edited:
There is a spec called TDP for your chip. It is the determination for how much heat a chip will put out under load (vaguely) . For a laptop I would make sure the TDP of the new chip matches the old chip. Laptops are on designed to take a certain amount of heat. If it is close you may be okay, But drastically larger is definitely no good

Are we talking about the laptop in your signature?

Most manufacturers have a list of compatible hardware for their systems.

If it was fine with the i5-2540 it should handle the i7-2620 or 2640
but I want to go with a Quad Core CPU that can support DDR3-1600 though...

- - - Updated - - -

There is a spec called TDP for your chip. It is the determination for how much heat a chip will put out under load (vaguely) . For a laptop I would make sure the TDP of the new chip matches the old chip. Laptops are on designed to take a certain amount of heat. If it is close you may be okay, But drastically larger is definitely no good
But the thing is though, that was back when before I cleaned out my CPU Cooler inside and out.
Even though that probably won't do a lot, but I'm thinking that it'll bring the temp down a few *C's.

- - - Updated - - -

Are we talking about the laptop in your signature?

Most manufacturers have a list of compatible hardware for their systems.
Sadly, My manufacturer (Acer) doesn't have a list like that, so in a way, it's kind of like a gamble.

Here is a list of procs that are compatible with your chipset (not saying compatible with your lappy...I've no clue as this I've not been able to garner from Acer). Note those that are quad core are TDP 45W....your current chip is TDP 35W. I wouldn't bet the lappy would be able to handle it.

Here is a list of procs that are compatible with your chipset (not saying compatible with your lappy...I've no clue as this I've not been able to garner from Acer). Note those that are quad core are TDP 45W....your current chip is TDP 35W. I wouldn't bet the lappy would be able to handle it.

I might risk the difference in TDP on my own hardware but wouldn't recommend anyone else do it. I've never actually made a trade like that though so I can't say how successful it would be

The other thing to consider is whether your bios would even support that quad core chip. Kind of a gamble I think

I might risk the difference in TDP on my own hardware but wouldn't recommend anyone else do it. I've never actually made a trade like that though so I can't say how successful it would be

The other thing to consider is whether your bios would even support that quad core chip. Kind of a gamble I think
It would support it since I've upgraded the Bios.

- - - Updated - - -

but I'm either going with a Core i7-2720QM or Core i7-2760QM.

It would support it since I've upgraded the Bios.

- - - Updated - - -

but I'm either going with a Core i7-2720QM or Core i7-2760QM.
Are you sure? Is there a list of CPUs the BIOS upgrade supports? You need to be 100% sure your laptop will support the CPU.

Second, your "but"... both of those CPUs are 45W. There are no 'buts'. Unless that laptop has an option to swap to a 45W CPU, I would be concerned about the cooling as well.

At this point, since the Acer site doesn't seem to have the information needed (CPU compatability list), I would email/call Acer and tell them your plans. See if the laptop supports and if so, under which bios or later (assuming you flashed to the latest so if it added it, you are set), and ask about the cooling. While 10W might not seem much, 30% MORE than 35W is significant if the system wasnt made to cool more than a 35W chip. ;)

EDIT: Here is a thread I dug up...: http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire.../383821#_ga=1.240342915.1277127405.1467656858

It seems this laptop only shipped with a 35W processor in the dual+HT I5-2450M. We know that CPU would work in it...

Last edited:
Are you sure? Is there a list of CPUs the BIOS upgrade supports? You need to be 100% sure your laptop will support the CPU.

Second, your "but"... both of those CPUs are 45W. There are no 'buts'. Unless that laptop has an option to swap to a 45W CPU, I would be concerned about the cooling as well.

At this point, since the Acer site doesn't seem to have the information needed (CPU compatability list), I would email/call Acer and tell them your plans. See if the laptop supports and if so, under which bios or later (assuming you flashed to the latest so if it added it, you are set), and ask about the cooling. While 10W might not seem much, 30% MORE than 35W is significant if the system wasnt made to cool more than a 35W chip. ;)

EDIT: Here is a thread I dug up...: http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire.../383821#_ga=1.240342915.1277127405.1467656858

It seems this laptop only shipped with a 35W processor in the dual+HT I5-2450M. We know that CPU would work in it...
There was another thread on here that I saw that a few people upgraded to an Core i7 with the same laptop as mine.
Here's the link to it: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/697463/Need-Some-Help/

I need some help as I want to upgrade my Laptops CPU to an i7 from a Pentium, but I am concerned about the Heat output from the i7,
but just for a note; It was able to handle an Core i5-2540M.

Good day, I have the same laptop and have successfully upgraded from my b800 to an intel core I7 2720 QM. Regarding your question bout heat it is a bit of a problem during gaming. My temps could easily go to 97 degrees. BUT i think it has to do with how well i applied the thermal paste. In the meantime I added a chill pad and modded my heat pipe with additional heat syncs. I also cut away parts of my bottom casing and replaced it with a mesh. Now at 100% load my max temp goes to 92 degrees. Also during extreme benching with fur mark as well as CPUZ stress testing it doesn't go higher than that.

Good day, I have the same laptop and have successfully upgraded from my b800 to an intel core I7 2720 QM. Regarding your question bout heat it is a bit of a problem during gaming. My temps could easily go to 97 degrees. BUT i think it has to do with how well i applied the thermal paste. In the meantime I added a chill pad and modded my heat pipe with additional heat syncs. I also cut away parts of my bottom casing and replaced it with a mesh. Now at 100% load my max temp goes to 92 degrees. Also during extreme benching with fur mark as well as CPUZ stress testing it doesn't go higher than that.

I went ahead and redid my thermal paste and rerun Fur Mark GPU stress test, my Max temps are now down to 88 degrees, which is quite a good improvement in my opinion any way. I'm sure temps will reduce further as the new thermal paste sets. I know the GPU performance results aren't impressive as it is a normal Intel HD3000 graphics. The purpose was only to see what my temps would do if i stress the cpu.

heat test.jpg

On the CPUZ stress test I got this result : At max load I'm still comfortably more than 35 degrees below my TJ Max

CPU Stress.jpg

If heat is a problem you could try down clocking the chip .

I fixed the problem, and now my temps max out at 68 degrees during fur mark stress test and CPU stress tests.

Part of the cause of my problem was at the bottom of my heat sync. The copper plate at the bottom has some sort of black tape that i ques serves as some form of heat shield with a 20mm length open block for the contact area to the cpu. After closer inspection I saw that the my new CPU's contact area in length is 22mm the result was that when applying the thermal paste there would always be a 0.5mm lip causing one side of the cpu not to receive sufficient contact. I removed the tape and also finished my hardware mods to the cpu heat sync.
I am thrilled with the results I was as of yet not able to get my max temps above 69 degrees in CPUZ stress test, furMark, or during gaming.

I will post a photo of the finished hardware mods to the cpu cooling.

Here are the bench results for FurMark : FurMark.2.jpg

Here are the photo of the Modifications I did on the heat sync and heat pipe. It does a great job in dispensing allot of the heat.

20170716_090247.jpg 20170716_090317.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a heck of a hack job man... wow! What is covering those components now?? Its not a big gaping hole still, is it?? Edit: a mesh... ok. Whew.

Furmark is for the gpu bud. Does it have a cpu component? Also, se suggest staying away from furmark as it temds to throttle the gpu and not test you actual running clocks.

We also use prime 95 or aida64 or a couple of other programs for cpu stress testing. No idea what cpuz even does in its stress test.

Anyway, glad those modifications worked...just not sure i would hack my laptop up to do it... :)

Last edited:
You would have a hard time passing airport inspection with that one.

Thats a heck of a hack job man... wow! What is covering those components now?? Its not a big gaping hole still, is it?? Edit: a mesh... ok. Whew.

Furmark is for the gpu bud. Does it have a cpu component? Also, se suggest staying away from furmark as it temds to throttle the gpu and not test you actual running clocks.

We also use prime 95 or aida64 or a couple of other programs for cpu stress testing. No idea what cpuz even does in its stress test.

Anyway, glad those modifications worked...just not sure i would hack my laptop up to do it... :)

Well, with a 6 years old laptop, why not? ;)

My thougts exactly, im also a bit of an enthusiest and i sort of got an obsession to see what is the absolute max that i gan go to.

Ive orderd my EVGA GTX 770 gpu.
Ive already recoeved my Exp GDC v8 mpcie adapter. As well as the LCD controler board.

Im going to run the egpu with my internal display reconnected as an external so i dont have the performance drop assosiated with running egpu with internal display.

I did some over the to extreem mods for fun.
I drilled out the mount screws and made a templite on a desctop heatsync drild holes for the bolts to fit and tightend to the backplate. 20170902_183243.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20170902_183313.jpg 20170902_183313.jpg

Also added a fan.

- - - Updated - - -

This how the laptop looks now,
With added powersupply for egpu and fans. Screenshot_2017-10-19-11-52-09.png

- - - Updated - - -

Screenshot_2017-10-19-11-52-02.png

Back