• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will Phenom II x4 945 bottleneck GTX 590/580?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neznam1337

Registered
Hi, i'm thinking of buying GTX 590 / GTX 580, but i read my cpu could bottleneck the GPUs.

I got 1920x1080 resolution, scythe katana 4 cpu cooler, cpu @ 3.0GHz

I read that i might need to overclock.

Thanks.

A 590 will be bottlenecked for sure, but with a slight OC (3.5/3.6GHz), the 580 will be fine.

Are you sure? I read that high resolutions have less chance for the cpu to bottleneck the gpu. Btw, if i overclock it to 3.8-4.0 GHZ, would it be bottleneck for the 590?

Last edited:
Yes, I am sure.
And yes, even@4GHz, it will bottleneck a 590.

A 670 should be fine though, with your CPU@4GHz...

Ah, i think it doesnt fit on my motherboard. It needs a PCI-E 3.0 slot which i dont have.

It works on a PCIe 2.0 slot, with maybe a 1 or 2% (max) loss in performance.

The gtx 670 needs two 6-pin connectors and the gtx 580 needs one 8-pin and one 6-pin connector. Would they both fit on my mobo?

Im also planning on buying this psu CORSAIR 700W, GS Series, CMPSU-700GEU, ATX PSU, ATX12V. Would this also fit on my mobo? sorry, im not an expert in psu's and gpus.

Yes, you're fine.

A 650w quality PSU, like a Corsair TX, is enough if you go 670 (even enough for SLI'ing down the road!).

Video Ram, the memory of the graphic card.

The Gigabyte I linked should OC better than the EVGA (ref design).

The Gigabyte I linked should OC better than the EVGA (ref design).

Yeah, I think the same. I just read that my CPU must be around 3.8-4GHz and there will be no bottleneck with the GTX 670. So I guess everything will be fine if I manage to make it stable at 3.8Ghz. The only thing I'm not sure is if I have the 2 6-pin connectors which i need for the GTX 670

Last edited:
Back