• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will this cool amd 3900x good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For that kind of moneys, better to build custom.

The main reason id because the water blocks on the AIOs are junk. Thin little cold plate, poor pumping power (however gotten better through the years) and many just not expandable.
But the water block really makes a big difference. The AIO cold plates have similar mass in copper compared to the IHS plate where custom loops with full copper blocks have ability to obsorb more BTU and in turn dissipate it.

I know I know. AIO is generally a little cheaper and easier. But the water block pump combo with the cheapy cold plates though.
People wonder why 250 AIO doesnt fair well with high wattage processors.

So if youre gonna drop 250 on AIO, should really consider a custom loop and just have a better cooling solution from increased BTU block capacity to high fin density rads to nice big tubing. A good pump in itself can make a world of difference.....

I think that is the big selling point of the Swiftech cooler, it comes with a legit WC block. But it only has a 6W pump. I'm not sure what the pump is, I thought it might be a DDC by the look of it, but the other Swiftech DDC pumps seem to pull between 12W and 20W.

well i wonder how many watts is needed its layout it has a hose going from rad to cpu block and hose going from cpu block to rad and thats it

We don't have to wonder, performance was measured in the review above. It is pretty much equivalent to all of the other CLC/AIO coolers. Of note the review used an 8700K, so if the there is something about a larger volume of cooler which will make more difference with a Zen2 than an 8700K (thinking of the concentration of of heat to a smaller surface area). Also you can note that testing was done at 100% fan speed rather than noise normalized.

If you like it then go for it, there's nothing to worry about, it has some added features compared to other CLCs (although it is not the only expandable all copper CLC available either). Just don't believe it will be a custom loop in a box.

Pump flow and performance is a pretty in depth issue and it does vary from loop to loop.

We don't have to wonder, performance was measured in the review above. It is pretty much equivalent to all of the other CLC/AIO coolers. .

In short, if you want high temps like H150i, this cooler will produce the similar cooling effect.

What say? Marginally better than average/top end air coolers?

___

These chips are pretty much set up and designed to run with the stock cooler while automatically pushed to it's own limits.
Almost absolutely no point in buying after market cooling while people insist on trying to get better performance via manual overclocking and loosing a ton of efficiency doing so.

Like in that other thread, pretyy much concluded overclocking (manually) is a dead art. There's such little headroom anymore. A shame IMO. I miss those 50-100% overclocking days. (on daily rigs, I still OC older tech here and there... not sure about you?)

If you are looking for a decent AIO that performs like a custom loop for a great price, or at least better than the typical AIO's, then I suggest the Alphacool Eisbaer 280 CPU Water Cooler - Black model. NOT the Extreme edition which is hard to fit because of its size and cost. The Alphacool Eisbaer 280 CPU Water Cooler - Black can be bought at Newegg.com for $115.
https://www.newegg.com/p/2YM-0007-00188

I can't get my Ryzens to hold as high a all core overclock on Auto than I can achieve with a manual OC. I load half the cores with distributed processing 24/7 and drive 3 or 4 gpus in each machine. The 3900X is no different than the 2700X, except runs higher cpu and memory clocks than the 2700X's ever could.

Back