• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this limited OC be possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

User12

Registered
Currently have an ASRock H71m-dgs (identical to the H61m-dgs, except for one USB feature) motherboard.

I'm thinking of getting an i7 non K (or 4C8T Xeon) CPU and doing a small overclock. I'm not going to raise CPU Vcore above default value because I want to keep CPU power consumption low (green overclock). I intend to run Folding@Home 24/7 on all 4C8T :) .

I know non K CPUs have only a partially unlocked multiplier (up to 4 bins more than Turbo multiplier). So the most I can get without raising BCLK is +400 MHz (if it is ever possible) +100 MHz Turbo.
slide-5.png

Will my limited OC be possible?

And is it really true that H61 chipset don't allow OC at all? Or does it allow some limited OC (raising the multiplier by up to 4)? :confused:

As far as I'm aware, the multiplier is greyed-out and cannot be changed on this chipset. Even if you stuck a K into it, you'd have to run at stock...
If you put a non-K into a, say, P67 chipset, you could then use the 'limited' unlocked multiplier. Think you're pretty stuck with an H-chipset.
I may be wrong, but that's my understanding of things!

I think you are right Jon. About the best you are going to get out of that chipset is a turbo multiplier (if you are lucky) and some bclk (105 or less, if any).

Back