• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will this new mo-board make a difference ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cpusas

Registered
Hi I've done a few upgrades recently, it started with a new board and cpu.
I went for the amd 645 x4 and ga-m68mt-sp2 rev 3.0, now all of a sudden i've bought a new HD 22in screen and an ati 6850 card and spent over £400 sigh

At first it wasnt about games else I would of tried the phenoms etc and done more research, but im stuck with this now sooo....

I'm wondering, this m68mt board i'm using has nvidia chipsets, i've just ordered a board with 880 amd chips (GA-880GM-UD2H) will i get any extra fps (battlefield 3/FSX) and/or what are the benefits from this.
my last card was 9600gt hence why I choose an nvidia chip previously, but to be honest I've never known what diffrence it makes.

also what is a reasonable cpu speed expectation to overclock my cpu when the new board arrives, currently this m68mt doesnt support cpu OC. its 3.1 stock, also the same applies to the memory I have 8gb 1600mhz kinsgton, running at 1600 wont go higher.

right now on passmark my card is 2274 and cpu is 3984 if that helps, looking on there my card is lower then the average score, but cpu is higher. neither were overclocked during the benchmarking.

also using win 7 ultimate x64, 700w psu
thanks

Last edited:
Increase performance at stock not really, but you will have options for overclock your CPU.

I agree with "saint19" that there is much greater potential for overclocking your cpu with the newer board. What your cpu will overclock up to is unknown. When you begin to clock it then you and we will all know what it really will do.

And then a MAX clock may not be what you want to deal with day in and day out. Look in "saint19's" signature and you will see he has his 1090T running at omigawd only 3.8Ghz. Then take a deep breath and look again. He is only using 1.325Vcore. He even has watercooling but he sees fit to forego that extra voltage and temps for the other 300Mhz that most 1090Ts will do with usually 1.4 volts or way more.

It is strokes for folks for sure, but there are some that just seem to know value when they see it.

Good luck with your overclock and Happy New Year.

Thanks for reply, I may need some assitance with overclocking safely to potential.
The board I mentioned above after ordering like a dumbass I found it doesn't like my cpu without a bios update cancelled it, so now I have a asus M5A78L-M LX V2 on the way.

as my first post states my gpu seems to be under performing according to pass mark(scores 2274 oc'd at 900/1200 passmark states 2700ish), the newer board comes with pci-e 2.0 current has 1.0, hopefully should be a few more fps here and a higher score? i made another post on here about that and I was told I should see an increase in perf. I have a XFX 6850 HD.

The cpu is constantly performing now between high 3900's to 4020's, upto 400 above passmark average at stock speeds.

my main goal is to make my sytem play bf3 on ultra(realistic?), its very close now i get 30+ fps on ultra, but once you start getting into the battle it drops to 20's and gets stuttery.
my cooling will be only air, several artic cooler case fans and a artic cooler freezer 7 v2 cpu fan, not the best but budget kicked it now im broke.

happy new year to you aswell
pete.

Back