• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this water block fit my socket?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NightPatrol

Registered
Hello Community,

I've just gotten started with custom water cooling, and I've found some stuff on amazon and don't know if it fits my motherboard/CPU.
Right now, I have the MSI A88X-G45 Motherboard with an AMD A10-7850K (Socket FM2+). The motherboard supports FM2 and FM2+. I'm looking at this custom water cooling loop on amazon and it comes with an Intel and AMD water block. http://amzn.com/B00FVVEDWY. The water block is called the RayStorm.

Amazon says the AMD water block supports sockets: AMD Sockets 939, 754, 940, AM2, and AM3.
The brand, XSPC, sells the same water block on their website, and it says the AMD water block supports socket AM2, AM3, FM1. I know it doesn't say it, but will the water block support my FM2+ CPU and FM2/FM2+ Motherboard? Or will I have to buy a compatible motherboard? I'm probably going to upgrade to an i7-4790k (LGA1150) and that I know will work. Hope you guys can help, Thanks!

Id upgrade now and get off the APU personally...

Someone else can chime in on AMD fitment, but, if it isn't listed, I would bet it wouldn't work (but of course, that isn't always true).

FM2 socket is the same as AM3 so it will work. That said I agree with ED, if you want something faster your money would be better spent on an Intel setup. I built my father a A10 7850/ X88 setup and Oced it to 4.5 stable on Air, putting it water isn't going to get you much past that maybe 4.7-4.8 Ghz. The difference in performance from 4.5 to say 4.8 isn't going to be that huge when compared to using that money to purchase a I5 6600k setup for example.

Okay, thanks so much for the quick and helpful replies. Because the kit comes with both an intel and amd water block, I'm going to first set myself up with the cooling then switch out my board and cpu with the intel cpu once I save up the money. Once again, thanks so much!

Okay, thanks so much for the quick and helpful replies. Because the kit comes with both an intel and amd water block, I'm going to first set myself up with the cooling then switch out my board and cpu with the intel cpu once I save up the money. Once again, thanks so much!

You mean both AMD and Intel mounting hardware, not AMD and Intel Blocks :rofl: If that was the case, I'm sure everyone here would purchase the kit because it came with 2 waterblocks ;)

taht is the block I use on my fm2+ board.
be VERY careful with the led wires, they are eay to break.

Back