• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 10 Black Screen after Clean Install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leegit

So... Windows 10 broke my old rig again after working fine for a couple months :( It like installed some new graphics driver or something and now all I get is a black screen. I have tried system restore, re-imaging, resetting the OS, and even doing a clean install. It will work for roughly 3-4 mins until a screen pops up saying its "installing setup files" which updates the graphics driver and then it goes black.

The only way around this so far is to clean install without any internet and it will work forever, as soon as I plug in the Ethernet cord it begins the "installing setup files" part and goes black. I even tried clean install with no internet + install newest NVidia graphics card driver from flash drive. Didn't work... :bang head I can't seem to find away around this.

Any ideas?

Rig in sig.. 3700K? What is it installing? Can you disable automatic updates before it tries? Have you tried using the onboard gpu when it does that? What about disabling onboard GPU in bios?

I've had similar problems with Win 10 updates. It's on my netbook, and win10 doesn't like when it's updates are interrupted, so if I forget and close the lid or something it's a problem. Either way, I've had to reinstall/restore Windows 3 times in 6 months on that netbook due to failed windows updates. I've just started creating restore points once a week to make it less painful if I have to do it again.

You could try to disable "fast start up" setting in Windows 10.
Some graphic card/motherboard combinations shut down the display output during boot and time out.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

You can test this by doing a reset by button when display goes black, then when the
computer POSTs, press del to enter BIOS. Then exit BIOS again and let it boot.
If the display stays on, then fast startup may be the reason.

Thing is, you need to do this setting after windows have completed its updates as it may
have restored the "fast start up" to enabled.

The other thing could be that the default graphic output switches to other port
after graphic driver update.

Last edited:
Have you tried using the onboard gpu when it does that? What about disabling onboard GPU in bios?

This would be my suggestion. I've had Windows updates that caused display issues with my setup. Switching over to the iGPU, resetting display settings or redownloading display drivers, then switching back to the dedicated card has worked every time.

How would windows make changes to your bios?
It does not, this is not the so called fast boot that is within BIOS. The fast start up I am referring to is an OS setting.
Entering BIOS in this case is just to force wake up of the display (in VGA mode), no setting needed there.
Otherwise the screen stay blank and you can not see where in OS to enter the setting.

Yes, its the 3700K. I'm assuming its install a bunch of drivers. After the clean install, I get a notification saying I need a compatible display driver. Then shortly after a window pops-up and shows a download/install bar, soon as it gets to the display driver, screen goes black.

I tried to defer updates but haven't tried to disable them through that trick on the other Win10 thread. Will try the onboard GPU and other suggestions when I get off work :)

I get a notification saying I need a compatible display driver. Then shortly after a window pops-up and shows a download/install bar, soon as it gets to the display driver, screen goes black.

Probably a display driver issue, hopefully running the iGPU allows you to complete everything and reinstall the display driver for the dedicated card.

Probably a display driver issue, hopefully running the iGPU allows you to complete everything and reinstall the display driver for the dedicated card.

safe mode will confirm if it is driver issue right? If it boots in safe mode, then you can blame the driver for 100% (Id only be able to give it 99% right now :D). there may be a known issue and/or a fix out there if you google for it. If all that fails.... I am as curious to see what the answer to that is too. Rolling back until you find a driver that works I suppose?

Screen output works with onboard GPU. Just installed all the Updates. Trying the GPU now.

Won't work with GPU plugged in still and I can't install the NVidia driver unless it's installed...

Booted into Safe Mode and installed newest NVidia driver... still doesn't work :(

Booted into Safe Mode and installed newest NVidia driver... still doesn't work :(

Just to be sure you are using DDUl right? I know it helps immensely with AMD drivers and have seen it recommended for NVIDIA cards as well. I guess now you have to step back from the newest driver to the next newest and keep going until you find one that works. If you get 4 or 5 revisions back and still cant get it working then you will have to consider that there might be something wrong with the card itself. Try it in another PC or under another OS to confirm. If there is something wrong with the card then its Fun with Dr. RMA time (unless someone else has any other ideas that is)

I have not been using DDUI. I'll try that... It is version 1607, the anniversary update. I'll try redoing the Media Creation Tool, may have an updated one compare to a few months ago.

The last two drivers haven't worked for me. The card works just fine if I clean install + unplug the Ethernet, so I don't think it's the card... gotta be a driver conflict with Win10. I have another 780 I can try as well. I stopped using them in SLI when I built my new rig (waiting for 1070/1080 prices to come down). So I'll try swapping em out. I'll report back my findings :salute:

I have not been using DDUI.
please excuse my typo "DDU" is correct. I think it is Display Driver Uninstaller in long form. You should be able to find what you need from the link I posted though, and if you cant I am sure someone around here can point you at the proper version.
The card works just fine if I clean install + unplug the Ethernet, so I don't think it's the card...
can you install your GPU drivers from a flash drive when you do this? I had thought that you said you couldnt. That would point to the card being okay. However if you havent installed the NVIDIA drivers yet, then it isnt a sign of anything. Ive a card that is borked that will run on windows native drivers, but black screens when I install the AMD driver for it. Ive seen the same issue with another card as well. Windows standard drivers are pretty plain, but they work well for their intended use - which is to show a screen long enough to get the good drivers installed right? :D

So I got it to work for about half a day Saturday. Played some CIV 6... then I walked away for a moment and came back to my computer being frozen. Restart. Same problem again :(

So I redid the Media Creation Tool, unplugged Ethernet, reinstalled clean, gpedit.msc ---> Turned off all automatic updates, DDUI to remove drivers, install latest NVidia drive.... was working all Sunday. Gonna have to test it more to see if its really fixed.

Back