• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 10 Home- Slow load time on an ASUS ROG G Series?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

My friend bought a new ASUS ROG Laptop, theROG GL552VW. It has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M vid card, 7200rpm HD, Intel Core i7 6700HQ Processor, 12 gigs of RAM. ASUS Specs here > http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ROG-GL552VW/specifications/

It has Windows 10 Home, pre-installed from the factory.

After battery was charged, and Win10 was setup. She turned it on today and it took a bit over 2 mins just to make it to the desktop! It also started up slowly when it was turned on for the first time, however I thought that was because Win10 had not been set up. It seems I was wrong.

Is this normal?? The computer has faster specs than my PC rig in my sig file. I don't know a thing about Win10 just Win7

I appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

My friend bought a new ASUS ROG Laptop, theROG GL552VW. It has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M vid card, 7200rpm HD, Intel Core i7 6700HQ Processor, 12 gigs of RAM. ASUS Specs here > http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ROG-GL552VW/specifications/

It has Windows 10 Home, pre-installed from the factory.

After battery was charged, and Win10 was setup. She turned it on today and it took a bit over 2 mins just to make it to the desktop! It also started up slowly when it was turned on for the first time, however I thought that was because Win10 had not been set up. It seems I was wrong.

Is this normal?? The computer has faster specs than my PC rig in my sig file. I don't know a thing about Win10 just Win7

I appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

It seems that after the major update for W10, this is a common occurrence. It appears to be a driver issue, at least in my case (Intel IRST). I've been updating to the latest versions without an improvement in startup performance.

It seems that after the major update for W10, this is a common occurrence. It appears to be a driver issue, at least in my case (Intel IRST). I've been updating to the latest versions without an improvement in startup performance.

All I know is that it has Win10, it wasn't an updated or upgraded.

Also don't forget the W10 update in the background.

What do you mean, is this an automatic updater "service" or program etc?

After looking at this again, it seems I don't understand the booting of Win10 Home. I fired up the computer again last night and observed the following:

1. ~2.5 secs to reach the ASUS splash screen
2. ~ 17 secs total to reach a screen that displays my friend's wall paper, with a clock/date display to the lower left (including the above time)
3. ~ 80 secs before that screen automatically rises and the Windows Login screen is presented where one enters a PIN. (including the above time)
4. Then it goes right into the desktop very quickly.

Based on the above, does that sound reasonable? The longest wait time occurs between steps 2 and 3. It seems you can make the wallpaper/clock screen move faster if you click on the track pad.

Those ~80s sound like updates installing OR some program you have at the startup bogging down the system. W10 installs updates in the background and/or on restart without asking your permission or even showing you its doing it, doubly worse in Home Edition because you cant control/stop it as far as i know.

Those ~80s sound like updates installing OR some program you have at the startup bogging down the system. W10 installs updates in the background and/or on restart without asking your permission or even showing you its doing it, doubly worse in Home Edition because you cant control/stop it as far as i know.

Oh I see. That sounds correct regarding the part of can't control it. A Windows Rep at BB told me that, however, I didn't think to ask when/where in the boot process, if at all, the upgrading was happening. I assumed it was more like Win7 where you make it onto the desktop and THEN the update flag appears.

Back