• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1550Mhz on Asus x370 Crosshair ROG and Ryzen 1700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thezfunk

Registered
Hi,

I have a Ryzen 1700 and Asus x370 Crosshair ROG.

No matter what I do for OC, the computer boots into Windows at 1550Mhz. Ryzen Master used to work but not it doesn't. The built in wizard to OC in the UEFI will OC an extra 93Mhz and then blue screen Windows 10 on boot.

When I do an OC it will post at 3Ghz no matter what. I go into the UEFI, it says it is running my OC. When I boot into Windows, Windows will say it is running my OC. When I check it with CPU-Z or HiWinFO64 it says 1550Mhz. When I benchmark it, it will have results of a Ryzen running at 1550Mhz.

What is going on? Am I forgetting to turn something off or turn something on? I was on the 1107 UEFI and now I even tried the 1201. It still has the same issue.

Is your reporting software compatible with Ryzen? Ryzen is so new a lot of the freeware reporting utilities may not have been updated to work with it properly. What are your CPU Cinebench scores like?

Hi,

I have a Ryzen 1700 and Asus x370 Crosshair ROG.

No matter what I do for OC, the computer boots into Windows at 1550Mhz. Ryzen Master used to work but not it doesn't. The built in wizard to OC in the UEFI will OC an extra 93Mhz and then blue screen Windows 10 on boot.

When I do an OC it will post at 3Ghz no matter what. I go into the UEFI, it says it is running my OC. When I boot into Windows, Windows will say it is running my OC. When I check it with CPU-Z or HiWinFO64 it says 1550Mhz. When I benchmark it, it will have results of a Ryzen running at 1550Mhz.

What is going on? Am I forgetting to turn something off or turn something on? I was on the 1107 UEFI and now I even tried the 1201. It still has the same issue.

There's a swith on that board called "slow" up near the top. Check to make sure you haven't somehow moved it to the on position

HWiNFO64.JPG

This is what it looks like to me. I will try and find that switch. I found someone else on the Asus forums with the exact same issue.

What was their fix?

So you say that if you leave it at stock it works like it should but only does this when you try to OC it?
Have you changed anything to do with the P-states?

They haven't found a fix either.

Yes, when it is left stock the computer opperates just fine. As soon as I try an OC of any kind. Even if I set stock speeds manually, it down clocks to 1550Mhz. I have not touched the P-states. Slow mode switch is set to 'off'.

There are two options for core ratio. Make sure you're using the one labelled CPU Core Ratio, NOT the Custom core ratio. Do me a favour and set defaults usin F5 then reboot to BIOS and ONLY change the core ratio to 33 then reboot

That's what I was changing...

So, I did what you suggested. Even though the post screen showed only 3000Mhz, it is in Windows at 3300Mhz verified with HWiNFO64.

Cinebench at 1404. Temps in the mid to upper 30C. I will try 34 and see what happens.

Could I have just gotten the worst Ryzen 1700 ever made?

- - - Updated - - -

34 booted. Cinebench at 1441, temp of 39C while Cinebenching. Going for the 35 again.

35 booted! Cinebench at 1505, Idle temp of 24C and load at 39C. Going for 36.

36 booted. Cinebench at 1540, Idle temp of 24C and load at 40C. Going for 37. Did I have my Vcore set too high? Auto at this speed is only 1.2V

37 booted. Cinebench at 1575, Idle temp of 24C and load at 40C. Going for 38...

At 38 it booted back up at 1550Mhz. Now what? Bump up the vCore? Manual or do an offset?

Why does the post screen never say the correct hertz? It always reads 3000. I never know if it works until I get into Windows.

To set an offset voltage what is the reference you are offsetting from? Is it stock voltage or the voltage you see in the real time display in the UEFI?

Last edited:
I would start back at 3700 and get it somewhat stable. Use Prime95 ver 29.1 and monitor your temps and voltage with HWInfo64. You'll be able to see what voltage it's currently using to give you an idea of where it is. The 1700 usually tops out around 3.8 on average

Well Johan, I have to thank you. You pointed me in the right direction.

It seems that following the advice of starting at 1.4V on the processor was not a good idea for me. I followed the advice to start at a multiplier of 33 and work up keeping everything on auto. That did the trick. I stepped up by one until I got into trouble at 39 and then had to start upping the voltage. I looked at the monitoring software and saw that 38 worked at 1.28 - 1.32 so I started there and got some stability at 1.34 at 39 (3900Mhz).

I was able to boot at 40 but even by upping the voltage .01 each attempt I was not able to get it stable. Once I hit 1.38 it defaulted back to that 1550Mhz thing again. So, it looks like I won't get hitting 4.0Ghz stable.

Now I am working on the RAM.

Hopefully this helps someone who also runs into this. I don't know why I see OC guides recommend you start at 1.4V core on the proc. It was a bad idea for me!

Yeah that's not something I typically do, this 1550 MHz thing still kind of confuses me. This is the first I have seen/heard of it and I have had 3 different CHVI boards. One thing you could try is in the Digi+ section raise the CPU current capability to 120% then see if it'll allow you to raise the voltage a bit more. What you're describing sounds like throttling but as I said I haven't seen that on the CHVI

It sounds like a safe boot feature, but I'm not sure why implement it. Why not fail the OC attempt and revert to stock rather than a very low P-state?

Safe boot doesn't do that either, it does revert to stock. It's weird to say the least.

I never had that issue even on the early bios. A failed boot either didn't post at all or stop on the post screen with all defaults loaded and the typical f1 to continue

Hmm Johan, you think it has to deal with SenseMI? I wonder if there is a setting not playing nice with the CPU firmware or some such...

I don't think that's it either, I had messed with the custom core ratio so I had an idea that was the initial issue. Still not sure what that's for TBH. Why it seems to be continuing I'm not really sure but I dout it's related to sense MI

Back