• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 loads to desktop wallpaper but no icons and no taskbar appear.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pooty

Ctrl+Alt+Delete leads to black screen with cursor, no task manager. Safe Mode loads correctly but Restore to previous point fails. The problem seemed to come out of nowhere, in that i didn't add any new hardware.

What I'v tried:
Startup repair.
System Restore
Last Known good Configuration
Clean Boot

Ok so i just re installed win7, all went fine. i got to the download all drivers and other junk part, and catalyst ver: 2012.1219.1520.27485 required a restart. once it restarted i was right back where i started. loads to desktop with no taskbar or icons and alt-crtl-del just gives a back screen. unfortunately i dont know what install caused it, because a lot of things were updating and installing.

oh and some other things i'v noticed
The starting Windows page lasts a long time. as in a minute or so. after that it goes to a black screen for 30secs or so then loads to the desktop background page.
new issues: my keyboard is backlit, during booting its lights flicker rapidly and i cant press any buttons to launch safe mode ext. It also doesnt power down when the pc does, it remains lit. I changed the keyboard over to a basic one. but im still having the issue of not having use of it untill after windows have loaded.

hey
Phenom x4 965
Radeon 6950
16g ram corsair @ 1.6
asrock 970 eXtreame4

no overclocking, other than the 6970 shaders.

also after leaving the pc for the last few days, its started up fine this morning

When at the 'desktop' try pressing ctrl shift esc to directly open the task manager.

If that works then run explorer.exe

Back