• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7-64 Home Premium won't boot to desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robmoo

The DW's PC won't boot to the desktop. When I try to boot to safe mode I get a black screen with a mouse cursor that moves, but nothing else. When I use the install disk, a 3-pack upgrade disk, it says when I try to start that repair that the disk is not for my version. Barbara Streisand! It is the disk I used to do the original install. It is a pre SP1 disk, but it should work. I created a repair disk with my PC. I can get into the repair functions with it. Start Up Repair runs, but doesn't fix the problem. I went to the command prompt and tried SFC /Scannow and it gives me a message to reboot and continue SFC, but the PC won't boot to desktop. I also tried the SFC /scannow /bootdir=c: windir=c:\windows and get a message that it can not start the repair service. My install disk will not allow me to reinstall over the existing install because it is not a GPT partition. I'm about at the end of my rope. We've installed no new hardware. I removed all USB devices except mouse and keyboard.

What else can I do short of nuking this install?

When in safemode, does ctrl alt del yield the lock screen with the option to get into task manager?

If it does, file>run new task... explorer.exe

Lets rule out a failing hard drive before we go any further.

If you know the manufacturer of the hard drive, get the appropriate software from that vendor to test the drive. Most tests have a "quick test" and "extended test". Run the quick test first... if it comes back OK, then run the extended test.

If both come back OK. (Im leaning towards it wont though) Honestly the easiest and quickest route from this point is to plug the drive into another machine, back up the data in the user profile, and reload.

I've seen a few viruses/malware cause the black screen with a cursor issue, but the task manager was still available. Its strange to me that you cant do an In Place upgrade and that system restore fails...both of these facts have me leaning towards a failing drive.

Lets rule out a failing hard drive before we go any further.

If you know the manufacturer of the hard drive, get the appropriate software from that vendor to test the drive. Most tests have a "quick test" and "extended test". Run the quick test first... if it comes back OK, then run the extended test.

If both come back OK. (Im leaning towards it wont though) Honestly the easiest and quickest route from this point is to plug the drive into another machine, back up the data in the user profile, and reload.

I've seen a few viruses/malware cause the black screen with a cursor issue, but the task manager was still available. Its strange to me that you cant do an In Place upgrade and that system restore fails...both of these facts have me leaning towards a failing drive.

I've been wanting to upgrade this machine to a SSD for a while. Right now it has a small SSD for caching. The drive arrived today. I'm doing a clean install then transferring the data my wife wants to keep from the old drive. After I have the data off it I'll run some tests to check its health. If it is healthy I'll probably set her up with Norton Ghost and use the drive for back up purposes. If it is bad I'll have to see how long ago I purchased it.

When things go awry system restore never fixes anything. I use redobackup as a bootable media. Works like a charm but you have to boot to it to use it
Also hirens boot disc has some good stuff on it too for diagnosing and it can also load xp and 7 so you can work within something familiar. Good luck.

Back