• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WIN 8.1 Pro Student Version Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrank001

Folks:

I'm in the process of purchasing WIN Pro 8.1 student version here:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-Student/productID.288769600

This is a downloadable version from MS.

I was told that I could load this on a USB and boot up from that on a new SSD and have a clean install. The guy I talked to today at MS told me that this would not work and that I need a current version of windows on my computer for this to upgrade to.

I really didn't want to do it that way. I want a clean install. Who's right /wrong?

BTW How do I tell is this is a 64 bit version?

Thanks

If that is a clean install of Windows (it is), you can do the USB installer from an existing Windows install, which will prepare your flash drive. From there, boot the drive and do a stock install. It looks like that version includes x86 and 64bit, as far as I can tell.

I get all my licenses through MSDNAA ("Dreamspark") and I'm sure that the ISO is exactly the same as retail versions.

No idea why he said it wouldn't work.

I've installed "upgrade" copies before. They work the exact same as the full copy.

So I should be OK to buy this?

Is there a "how to" get my USB stick set up and to tell me how do load from a USB? I've never done that before . I always had a disk.

You should be fine. The only thing I'm unsure about is the USB, but I think it will give you the option to create it once you put in the disk (within Windows).

You use Windows USB/DVD Tool. It'll take an ISO and do magic for you.

windows 8, when you go to install it from the desktop, gives you an option to make a bootable USB, or ISO right in the installer itself.

Confused about this, I am in the same boat.

Son qualifies for the 8.1 Student and when I was doing live chat with Microsoft they said I had to have and OS in place HOWEVER since the OS that is on his machine is XP that I couldn't install 8.1 Student, then they said I would have to call and order the 8.1 Student on disk and pay the shipping for it on disk in order to do a clean install.

I am ordering him a new SSD this week and wanted to do a clean install, So can I puchase/download the one they link using XP and make a bootable USB and use that? Assuming the download is an ISO and that I would have to use a program to setup the USB as bootable and put the ISO image on it. I has been years since I have done that.

Get the version they are giving you (burn to disk or put on flash), do a clean install. Shouldn't have any issues.

I'm fairly sure they are saying the license doesn't allow that. It certainly works though.

Back