• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win server 2003 DHCP setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marche

Registered
Hi,
I hosted a LAN party last night and everything went okay. I have a question about the dhcp server that i used. It is the one built into windows server 2003.
I set it up and when people connected they seemed to get the right adress. But i wasnt sure about the lease time. Is this the time that they have the adress and then it will just go?
Aslo do i have to leave the dhcp server running? or once everyone has a leased adress, should i close the dhcp server program down?
thanks

leave it open incase they restart, and the lease time is the time that the address lasts. after that they need a new one which will automatically take place

What would be a good lease time? Or how does one determine a good length of time?

yeh but if they restart and the dhcp server is closed then they will still have the ip adress casue of the lease right?

Marche said:
yeh but if they restart and the dhcp server is closed then they will still have the ip adress casue of the lease right?

Until the lease expires, I assume.

as far as lease times are concerned, im going to assume that you are on lan that isnt publicly addressed, making reuse of network addresses unimportant, since you have more than 16 million you can use. just go for something like 3 months. it really doesnt matter.

Back