• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win XP install from USB (hell of a time) :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
He's getting those errors when the installation is trying to copy those files from the USB installation medium onto the local hard drive, during the part of the process where Windows Setup copies the files locally - before the first restart in XP's installation process.

I'd hook the laptop drive up to a desktop, and try doing the installation on a different machine. The installation process you are using works ok for me, so it could be the laptop has an issue of some kind. That would rule out a hardware problem. You'd just be running the initial part of windows setup on the desktop, in order to see if you receive the same errors.

Back in the xp days...

I had a few of those problems back in the day.... I think I ended up removing the HDD from the laptop.. formatting it from a desktop then if I remember correctly.. used the win to flash usb loader. BartPe always gave me hellatious issues..

http://wintoflash.com/home/en/ Win to flash Website.. Xp iso always seemed to work with this.

He's getting those errors when the installation is trying to copy those files from the USB installation medium onto the local hard drive, during the part of the process where Windows Setup copies the files locally - before the first restart in XP's installation process.

I'd hook the laptop drive up to a desktop, and try doing the installation on a different machine. The installation process you are using works ok for me, so it could be the laptop has an issue of some kind. That would rule out a hardware problem. You'd just be running the initial part of windows setup on the desktop, in order to see if you receive the same errors.

All I have here is Intel machines(this one is an AMD) Won't that cause issues?. I was going to throw this HD in another laptop and do it, but it's a SATA and the others are IDE :(

Gixxer, I got this gem off ebay last fall and it turned out to be more useful than I ever imagined.!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-...373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cf389d35

It might be the ticket your looking for!

Installing xp from seperate HDD Partition:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252249-45-installing

All I have here is Intel machines(this one is an AMD) Won't that cause issues?. I was going to throw this HD in another laptop and do it, but it's a SATA and the others are IDE :(

Gixxer, I got this gem off ebay last fall and it turned out to be more useful than I ever imagined.!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-...373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cf389d35

It might be the ticket your looking for!

Installing xp from seperate HDD Partition:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252249-45-installing

I actually have that same setup kinda. Mine came with a power adapter for sata/ide, as well as a sata cable. I guess I'll try installing xp on an intel machine for my amd machine tomorrow. I have a spare i7 here so I can do it without risk of screwing my main puter up :D I'll just have to take the rom drive out of my main to do it.

The thing about Unetbootin is you need the Jaunty version. (494) IIRC

The USB stick needs to be formatted NTSF, the jaunty version is the last that will work with a NTSF volume.

Also unetbootin will need to be ran as sudo.

so

add this your sources.list

Uninstall any later version using Synaptic and install the Jaunty version.

then after formating the USB NTSF launch Unetbootin from terminal.

$ gksu unetbootin

Doesn't matter, you are just eliminating the laptop hardware to confirm if your install media (the USB stick) is working correctly.

Have you tried a different USB flashdrive and/or formatting it? I image servers all the time at work using Windows PE on USB flashdrives and have noticed every now and then some systems have issues with a particular flashdrive until I reformat it.

Ok it's official! I suck at computers evidentally.

I pulled my i7(*****board)out, put a gpu in it, hooked the hd up, connected all needed wires:

1. Power light on the mobo, but won't turn on
2. Unplug power from gpu and it boots, but no video(it beeps at me)gts250 1 6pin(known working)
3. Try a different gpu, same thing 8800gtx 1 6pin(known working)
4. Try the other PCI-e power port, same thing
5. I don't have a card that doesn't take power.

>>> I plug the PCI-E while it's booting without VGA.. and it "pops" trips the PSU.....(this happens with both GPU's listed above.)

boot issue with the above cards......PSU or motherboard, idk...I'll test the theory in a few days(The last time the board was fired it was used for folding and worked great with no cards, just a pci/vga card, and with a gts250 and 210 card in it) PSU shouldn't have went bad from sitting in a closest with no static or dust around it.

NEXT: I remove all hard drives out of my mainbox(this one)

1. BIOS finds the 160gb sata drive and the cdrom(sweet...NOT)
2. Boot from cd, it starts process and freezes upon "starting windows"(next screen is to choose hd and partition for the new install)
3. Tried different sata slots on the board(mind you I have 5 hd's hooked up and all are being seen, as well as the rom drive)....Still the same thing..
4. The Windows XP CD being used is the same one that I used to install the OS on a laptop less than 48 hours earlier.

So evidentally:

1.XP doesn't like me or my machines
2. I suck at the technology life and should give it all away

EDIT: Hooked the 160 up to my computer and device mananger finds it as an UNALLOCATED DRIVE 149gb.. I Create a simple volume and it's good. Removed simple volume and we are back to square one (ABOVE)

Still at a loss.

Last edited:
So HDD corruption? (the 160GB HDD is what you were having problems with earlier?)

you can try and use parted magic (gparted if you already have a linux live boot device) to format the drive, or attach to an existing windows box and do a low level format (will take a couple of hours)

Back