• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win2k hangs after updates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angelus Errare

Registered
Yeah, I just used windows update and after I restarted the computer, it never goes to the desktop. it sits there at the windows 2000 splash screen and I even hear the start up sound, but for some reason it just nevers shows the desktop. I can get the desktop if I boot into safemode. Any ideas? I updated a few things. I thought it was the video driver(I updated that too with windows update), but once I got into safemode I changed it back to a older one and it still didn't work... The computer is kinda important sense I use it for school work, I want to try and avoid reinstalling windows if I can.

last known good configuration and then do what everyone hates to do and research the problem. There is some driver or software that is causing that update to not function. Try clearing startup before last known good because that may show you what the problem is.

Try system restore from safe mode?
You could try a repair or a parallel install, but if you do that I would plan on backing up the drive and reinstalling anyway cause it is not clean.

i guess I'll have to try a repair... I don't have the option for System Restore. To repair, I just stick the CD in before windows boots, right?

System Restore is only available in Windows XP and Windows ME.

Windows 98 and Windows 2000 users for the equivalent function are required to get a third party utility.

Back