• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 & Small SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leftheaded

Got a 64GB SSD, but now i'm in need of a plan for installing apps/games. Was hoping to get some feedback on this approach. I mostly play games and browse the web on this computer. Next, photo/video editing and lastly office stuff. Thanks in advance!

forgot to mention that i have a MS Technet subscription so i can downloand/install any and all Win7 versions

64GB SSD install:
  • Win7 x64 Ultimate ~ 25GB
  • COD4 (call of duty) ~ 7GB
  • COD MW2 ~ 7GB
  • SWG (star wars galaxies) ~ 7GB
  • BC2 (battlefield) ~ 7GB
  • Firefox < 1GB
  • NOD32 < 1GB

150GB Raptor install:
  • MS Office
  • Acronis (backups)
  • Quicken
  • Adobe Photoshop
  • Adobe Lightroom
  • Sony Vegas Pro
  • Steam
  • iTunes
  • EVGA Precision

:comp:

Last edited:
Not sure what the question really is...

but if you need more space, trim your W7 install down a bit. IIRC, Im under 10GB.

yeah, i'm not sure what my questions are exactly. these small SSDs have me thinking about space like i haven't had to since the 90's lol

guess i'm wondering 2 things:

how big should my win7 install be ? (10GB is my new target.. thanks!)
and does it matter which apps i put on my OS drive vs some other drive? maybe I should install all apps to the raptor and just have the SSD for the OS? those kind of questions

thanks again

Put what you can on it... I would leave about 10GB free so TRIM can do its job (if your drive supports it) effective. Whatever apps/games you want to load the fastest is what I would put on it.

cool. thanks man. :beer:

how should i trim down my win7 install? during installation or can i tweak things after the fact?

kill system restore, hibernation file and pagefile wen i had a 16GB SSD i was running about 7 GB install size.

+1 to the above minus the pagefile. Sometimes some programs need that...I have 4GB ram and set it to 1GB instead of the default 2 or 4 with the minimum and maximum size the same (1024).

kill system restore, hibernation file and pagefile wen i had a 16GB SSD i was running about 7 GB install size.

that will def free up some space... id recommend to not get rid of the page file completely on a bigger ssd like you got OP (64gb) but go down to about 1gb.

Also you can strip win 7 pretty easy. The win 7 pro i got on my netbook uses just over 3gb fully installed. on my desktop just over 4 gb (64bit uses a bit more of space) Both are fully featured as far as functionality i would ever use. On my desktop i have stripped win 7 of, IE8, media center, side bar/ gadgets, inbox games, system restore ect ect... but have kept all the features i want.

check this out over at v lite forums http://www.msfn.org/board/windows-updated-t137765.html

Thats what i used but a blend of 7xtreme and 7 elite suited to my own needs.

BTW how are you going to have steam on ur raptor but mw2 on ur ssd?

BTW how are you going to have steam on ur raptor but mw2 on ur ssd?
hmmm good question! that's the kind of stuff i'm trying to consider before i do all the installations. steam is pretty small so i guess i'll install it on the SSD with the games. thank you! :salute:

check this out over at v lite forums http://www.msfn.org/board/windows-updated-t137765.html

Thats what i used but a blend of 7xtreme and 7 elite suited to my own needs.
thanks for that link. I'm reading it now. And for anyone else who might find this helpful.. i used this link for trimming down my win7 install
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...3-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-amp-Utilities-*

Last edited:
hmmm good question! that's the kind of stuff i'm trying to consider before i do all the installations. steam is pretty small so i guess i'll install it on the SSD with the games. thank you! :salute:

thanks for that link. I'm reading it now. And for anyone else who might find this helpful.. i used this link for trimming down my win7 install
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...3-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-amp-Utilities-*

not a prob

I will say that you should leave superfetch and prefetch enabled... all they do is read from the ssd (which 99% of ssds are amazing at) to preload programs.

I recall those being disabled... Im going to have to look that up to confirm... that OCZ link should say Yay or Nay on that as well (sorry writing an article going back and forth).

I recall those being disabled... Im going to have to look that up to confirm... that OCZ link should say Yay or Nay on that as well (sorry writing an article going back and forth).

I found from personal experience that disabling prefetch and superfetch in win 7 produces no negative effects, but you do not gain the awesomeness of superfect and prefetch has to offer. There is no reason TO disable pre and superfetch in win 7 as all they do is read from the ssd and do VERY VERY little writing.

Hmm, sounds logical. When I find it either way I will post back. :)

Guide said disable, but no reasons though.. :shrug:

Personally, with the whole where to put stuff dilemma, I would suggest running all program files (basically) on the SSD and then since it's not like a raptor is a slow drive, plop the my docs,vids,pics,music folders onto storage drives or the raptor and then have games installed on the raptor if you can't fit them on the SSD (remember to leave ~10gb for TRIM).

Back