• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some SSD help, recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

truflip

I've been eying the X25-V 40GB since it's what I can comfortably buy right now ($130CAD) but recently saw a Kingston V Series G2 64GB on sale for $109CAD and an ADATA 32GB for $99. Read some quick reviews on these but all those tests they do, I don't really understand.

I'm just looking for quick boot times, faster program loads (photoshop) and overall a snappier operation of the machine. Real life usage type of stuff. I play CS: Source only, watch top gear in HD, some other shows in HD, iTunes, browse the web, do photo work with PS CS3 and Lightroom 2.x and what MS 2010 office work.

After three or four years of WinXP, my Windows folder takes up 6.41GB and my program files take up 19.5GB so maybe 32GB might even suffice. Half the programs I have, i don't even use anymore. I'll be installing W7 on this SSD also.

Oh ya, I'm from Canada so please be aware prices here tend to be a bit higher than US. I mainly shop at canadacomputers.com but will sometimes order from newegg.ca or ncix.com

Also read the Vertex 2's are good but theyre a tight squeeze at $190 :(

Anyway, I guess some feedback on the X25-V would be great for the stated computer use. Other recommendations for 100-130ish dollar SSD's would be greatly appreciated also.

You can look here for some discussion on SSDs. The Gen2 Kingston V Series is JMF612. I would rank it lower in performance than the Intel one. On the other hand the ADATA S592 is Indilix drive which also is a good option.

thanks! This is exactly what I need. I couldnt get this to come up on google search at all for some reason. Thanks again!

Back