• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win98 bootable startup cd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkgonra

I need a win98 startup disk on cd. Is this possible if so how do I make one ?
The pc I am working on does not have a floppy and does not have the option to boot from USB.

copy the files from the 98 cd to your hard disk.

download a bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com, create the bootable floppy and use burning software to read the disk, creating a bootable CD.

then just burn the win98 files to cd.

??? If you can boot off CD, just boot of your win98 CD. Am I missing something?

I just need the files that would normally be on the boot floppy to be on a cd. I am not loading windows 98.
When re-formatting a Dell if you do a partition or a format from the XP cd , it still leaves Dell stuff on there. If you fdisk from a win98 boot floppy it erases it all.

If your gonna patitition a HDD using a 98 boot disk your gonna have problems with disk sizes over 64GB you can get a windows ME boot disk and it has a updated version of Fdisk that supports disk sizes larger than 64GB or you can get a patch from microsoft but unfortunately it wont extract on Win XP....

If you really really really need a bootable 98 CD, and you have a legit copy already, hook me up and I can give you a CCD file of my bootable win98 CD.

hkgonra said:
I just need the files that would normally be on the boot floppy to be on a cd. I am not loading windows 98.
When re-formatting a Dell if you do a partition or a format from the XP cd , it still leaves Dell stuff on there. If you fdisk from a win98 boot floppy it erases it all.

I see I'm a little late to the party, and you got your problem solved. All the files you need are in the "WIN98" directory on the CD. Just boot fro the CD with CDROM support, then type "CD WIN98" at the command prompt. you should be able to execute all the commands that are found on a 98 boot disk, and a few more.

Back