• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Window etching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Heh. Your links all lead back to their home page, not the pages for the actuall parts. The wonders of using flash for your webpage...

Looks like they have an actual router kit for the dremel. Wouldn't that be better for etching then the little tile cutter?

Those links just send me to the main page of the dremel place. Anyway you could be more specific on the bits/tool you were talking about?

Mr. Perfect said:
Heh. Your links all lead back to their home page, not the pages for the actuall parts. The wonders of using flash for your webpage...

Looks like they have an actual router kit for the dremel. Wouldn't that be better for etching then the little tile cutter?

I just checked them and yes you are right about the links sorry about that. I was trying to save the guy a little money but yes that would work even better. The cost on it is almost double however.

In regards to the bits. looking at the website under accessories, then rotary tool bits, then carving engraving, The high speed cutters or tungsten carbide cutters should work well for you. Keep in mind that the shape of the bit and the depth you set will determine the width and shape of the cut. Since you want it to have a frosted look I recommend a flat bottomed piece. However the bigger the face of the tool the harder it will be to hold steady.

So you think it would be possible with the tile cutter addon? This should be interesting. Why did you choose the cutting bit over a etching bit? Sorry to ask so many questions, i just wanna do it right the first time. Oh and if you don't mind me asking, how much was the tile cutter thing.

I believe it was like $24.99 when I seen it at Home Depot the router attachement was $39.99 if I remember correctly.

In regards to the bits if you use an engraving bit you will be there forever trying to fill in all the areas you want to frost the tips are just so small. If you don't make then lines wide enough you will not be able to see them. I recommend the cutters so you will get a good pronounced line in a single pass with good chip removal from the tool. Those small engravers bits are so small that they may end up melting the plastic rather then cutting it.

I found this online a little bit ago. Looks like a pretty good etch and he did it with diamond etching bit. His is much smaller though. Some guys Etch

What do you all think?

some sweet laser etching that only cost $20 (i think)
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=62286&page=8&pp=20

towards the bottom

etch02.jpg

so did the frost stuff come off?

I really like the lazer etching, but since I am doing a simple design, i am going to stick with the DIY method. As for the frost....well it comes off with acitone. I am pretty sure acitone would eat away at the acrlyic. Looks like I am just going to etch it off as I etch the window. I don't see it being a problem. This is probly going to take forever though. Luckly I have a big tv, a 5 disk dvd player and beer. Will keep you all posted. Keep droping ideas if you all get any. I am going home today to get my dremel, bits, and some other stuff

"#566 Tile Cutting Kit" only differs from "#565 Multipurpose Cutting Kit" in that it comes with one toothy carbide tile cutting bit; the multipurpose kit comes with three spiral bits (HSS I guess, so initially sharper than carbide). The main thing is the "cutting guide" attachment.

Don't forget to pave your acrylic with masking tape or paper, and keep the surface clear of dust, to avoid scratches.

You can set a fine, repeatable depth by standing the unit up on paper shims and dropping the bit between the shims.

Yes Acetone will etch the Polly sheet but watch out, if you put on wrong spot will make it look like (frost/milk).

are you planning to do vertical cuts with dramel or hand free with different depth and forms. if you do just vertical cuts than go like electron chaser said make sure you try on scrap paces first to get the feeling
2 cent tip *** before you cut take a bag of ICE cover up with thin rag and put Polly sheet on top let it cool down for few min. Or if you got time put in Fridge for 10 min.)
doing above part will make your Polly sheet harder and chips will brake a way instead to start to burn up. also keep you dramel cutter cold that is a key.

my friend dose that very good and other way he dose cuts is

he got little pan that he puts water in it to cover up the sheet*** HE USE CORDLESS DRAMMEL NOT 120V** water + Electricity=you know ....( well I gess you could use GFCI outlet)
sheet is marked with the marker and sinked in to a water like 3/16 to a 1/2 inch depends what he is cutting with and that water is keeping that sheet so nice cold and smooth cut that you wouldn't believe.
I see if I can get few photos from him and post.
and yes it dose get some time little wet and *possible* will not damage your dramel he got his for 2 years and still spinning around.
have fun

What do you mean by the paper shims? Are you talking about using carbord to adjust the depth. I am going to Homedepot today and I am still debating on how to handle this. Will cutting it with the carbide bit give it a frosted/etched look? OH and what was the price difference for the mutil purpose and tile cutter?

I personally like the look of the frosting... are you the one that did the frosted/uv blue flames around your case?

yea i did the frost, but it came out a little uneven and I want it look perfect :). In person you can see the inperfections in the frost spray due to cold. Etching produces a simular effect though.

DeViL_909 said:
What do you mean by the paper shims? Are you talking about using carbord to adjust the depth.
Exactly. The accessory does have some rude marks for 1/4", 1/2" depths, but you need far less than that and repeatable too so you can go back after readjusting to a given depth (line weight).

I also suggested "paving" the work with something (also consistent thickness) so the router base doesn't scratch the acrylic... paper?
DeViL_909 said:
I am going to Homedepot today and I am still debating on how to handle this. Will cutting it with the carbide bit give it a frosted/etched look? OH and what was the price difference for the mutil purpose and tile cutter?

The kits should cost the same, as they feature the same base, while the carbide "tile" bit likely costs as much as three "multipurpose" (HSS spiral) bits. The carbide will not be so sharp initially as the steel bits, but will keep its edge longer. Since you're only using the tip (1mm? <1mm?), I suggest you inspect and choose whatever bit included or on the rack has the point you want, barring anything abrasive (diamond, grinding bits) which can clog.

Having large consistently frosty areas, you're really pushing it. The roughness in these areas has to be uniform. Back in the early days of printing, we got around that by filling areas with fine parallel lines. Even today we print translucent areas with fields of dots, to ensure uniformity. Sandblasting of course makes a uniform field of dots. With a Dremel you'll have to make the scratches uniform.

My experience here is in engraving wood and metal (and offset printing) not etching acrylic. My Dremel router base accessory was shop-made after store hours. The tools and methods overlap, but better trust advice from those who have actually done case windows.

Back