• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Defender Offline Scan not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I wonder if some of you guys could try this on your machines.

I'm using Windows 10 Defender now as my main AV application because recent independent lab results have shown that it performs as good as any product out there free or fee.

It has an offline scan feature under Advanced Options in the Windows Defender Command Center. I can't get it to start a scan. I have no other AV products active and I've tried it in Safe mode to no avail. I see many others are having the same issue.

Could some of you try it on your machines to see if it works for you?

Thanks

Last edited:
Trents,

It works for me in Vista64 but I'm not using it on the W10 machine. I know that's very little help to you (Vista64 :rofl:??)

That reminds me that I need to clarify that it was for Windows 10 in my thread title. Thanks.

I just ran it on two machines, both are running Win10 non-Pro ver. 1803.

From the taskbar I opened the Defender Security Center, Virus & Threat Protection, chose Run a New Advanced Scan. I selected Win Defender Offline scan and clicked Scan Now.

The PCs both rebooted, ran a scan, then rebooted again.

Okay, got it all fixed on both my laptop and my desktop. Turned out to be broken updates and system files. The desktop required an in place rebuild of the system from a Windows ISO.

Back