• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 freezing at boot... from time to time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valgua

Registered
Hi!

A few weeks ago I started experiencing a weird problem. Windows 10 is freezing at start every 10-20 times. The Windows logo appears without circling dots and stays like that with the SSD-led completely silent. My only way out is to press the reset button. I have tested following measures without success:

- I have run memtest86 for two nights (8 hours + 8 hours). No errors detected.

- I have changed all usb peripherals (different keyboard and mouse).

- I have tested both the 3.1 and 3.0 USB ports.

- I have reinstalled Windows 10. For a few days I thought that I had solved the problem but today it's back.

- The device manager does not show any errors.

- Samsung SSD magician does not show any errors.

My PC: i7 6700k, Asus Z170, 16gb DDR4, Samsung 500gb SSD, Geforce 1080gtx.

All words of advice are deeply appreciated.

Hi and thanks for replying! No overclock. My PSU is an EVGA G2 Supernova 850W. I doubt it is the problem as the PC works perfectly once it has booted (including demanding games).

Is your bios setup using auto voltage settings?
If so you could try setting most voltages manually , might just be that one voltage is being applied to low sometimes causing the cold boot problem .

Start with vcore , ram voltage . And work from there buy using hwmonitor so see what the voltage is when system is working and applying those in the bios.

Is your bios setup using auto voltage settings?
If so you could try setting most voltages manually , might just be that one voltage is being applied to low sometimes causing the cold boot problem .

Start with vcore , ram voltage . And work from there buy using hwmonitor so see what the voltage is when system is working and applying those in the bios.

Yes, the voltages are set to auto. This is a creenshot of hwmonitor. What values do you suggest that I put instead?

Skärmbild (2).png

Are those when at load?
I haven't had one of those chips so don't know voltage off top of my head.

I would expect vcore to be 1.1-1.25v
Set the ram voltage that it is spec at .
And give it a try.

Thanks again! No, they are not at load (just hwmonitor and chrome running). I will definitely try your tips. However, yesterday I updated a few drivers in device manager, including Asmedia USB Host. Unfortunately, the random nature of the problem makes it hard to test solutions. So far I have been able to boot the system 34 times flawlessly. I keep my fingers crossed.

See if there any chipset updates available, for your motherboard. don't get them from Microsoft, get them from the manufacturer's website.

Update. I think (knock on woods!) that I am starting to close in on problem. As you can see in the picture, I used msconfig to disable all non-microsoft services (with the exception of nvidia). I have been able to restart the pc 101 times without a problem (yes I am counting them). The next logical step is to enable one service at the time to identify the problematic one. My money is on razer, based on the fact that the light of my keyboard and mouse always turn off when the pc freezes at startup. Do you see other services in the picture that could be good candidates for causing issues? The one service the picture does not show is steam.

Skärmbild (4).png

Update nr. 2. I am almost 100% positiv that razer services are the culprit. What do I do? Should I just keep the disabled? Do I uninstall them? How?

Back