• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 full to be shipping with linux kernel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Microsoft it buying into Linux and opening it's code for over 60k apps. Which distro do you think they buy out? IBM snapped up Redhat.

What is the purpose of MS doing this? What are they trying to achieve? There are already plenty of open source apps for Windows aren't there, like office suites for instance and lots of utilities?

What is the purpose of MS doing this? What are they trying to achieve? There are already plenty of open source apps for Windows aren't there, like office suites for instance and lots of utilities?
If I had to guess at 'why', the recent shift in the gaming world would be my guess. With Proton making a greater number of games available in Linux like never before, MS is losing grip on the gaming demographic. High end titles being available for Linux will break the Gaming Blockade, and it will only get worse as Linux Gaming hits full steam. MS has decided to concentrate on data mining for revenue, losing market share is not an option any longer.

There are open source apps for Windows but nothing compared to the Linux eco-system. I would guess that most open source apps for Windows are ports of their Linux counterparts.

SuSE, obviously. There really aren't many choices for "enterprise" Linux, and SuSE already cooperates with them to work in Azure.

Upgrading, security patching, etc a complex coded OS has become a less profitable part of what MS is doing. They will be in a much better position if they become universal and more open and sell services instead. The cloud has huge potential and businesses are using the cloud for a lot of their infrastructure. A Linux base with a windows customization makes sense. Imagine Wine or docker on steroids. Mac OS is BSD Unix with their customized build.

I'm ditching windows soon. Linux or BSD. Haven't made up my mind yet. Probably Linux as FAH is working there. Wish it worked in Unix too, but I haven't heard of any Unix clients.

Back