• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Media Center (!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Another addition to the Windows 10 FAQ, moderators ;)

Download and extract WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0.zip
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7o4ke3qi7guilg0/WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0.zip?dl=0

Right-click on _TestRights.cmd > Run as administrator > Reboot

Right-click on Installer.cmd > Run as administrator

Media Center app should then show up under Windows 10.

I am still compiling the list of Telemetry disabling modifications (to disable Windows 10 usage collection as much as possible) but lack of Windows Media Center (DVR recording on Windows 10 - not playback of media) was the #1 reason not to fully switch to Windows 10 for me. However, since Windows Media Center is fully supported under Windows 8, I always posted that it is only a question of time before this day came and someone figured out how to port it over... Windows 10 Media Center. Finally. :)

Last edited:
Copy the installation folder to root directory [C: Drive] and rename the folder with a short name like WMC10

Otherwise the .cmd commands may not run if they are located deep within directories and subdirectories...

Does anyone else get this:

WMC10.png

Last edited:
Resolution:

In case of Windows 10 Media Center Decoder Error...

https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases

Double click on the LAVFilters Installer exe > Next >
Only CHECKing LAV Video (x64) or LAV Video (x86) should be enough to get Windows 10 Media Center to resolve the Decoder Error.

LAVFilters.png

So I can watch TV on it no problem but record button gets permanently stuck on circling and does not start to record.
I found that the Guide cannot be downloaded no matter which zip code I try.
I found that I am no the only one by far, many people have this exact same problem of the guide not be downloadable for any zip code.

And here's the kicker, I have identical Windows 8 and Windows 10 installations running in a multi boot on the same system.

My Windows 8 Windows Media Center works perfectly. If *only* I could transfer everything from a Windows 8 OS folder to a Windows 10 folder, but I can't.

I know my USB tuner stick Hauppage WinTV-HVR-950Q Hybrid TV Stick works perfectly because I can use it in every way on Windows Media Center 8 and 7 and Vista and XP.

But even Hauppage's native software does not detect it in Windows 10 [even though Windows Media Center uses it to display TV channels just fine without the guide in Windows 10]
and no other TV watching program can detect channels on it inside Windows 10.

They *really* do not want us being able to capture TV on Windows 10. :)

Well , it sounds close , but not being able to download the guide is a deal breaker for me. My computer is my only TV source , and WMC is "full featured" in W7. You would think someone will come up with a solution eventually.

So you've tested it too and you can't get the guide either? Can you manually record?

Mine enters an infinite loop when I press the record button, so I can only watch all the channels but no guide or recording.
And no other software out there can even recognize my TV tuner, when I am inside Windows 10.

Last edited:
That sums up my tuner software problem. I don't even know if the company's original install disc would run on 10 , as the disc was originally made for 7. I suppose I can just use 7 on an HTPC after the next build , but I'm liking the Linux idea more and more.

edit: Hauppauge has an install pack for W10 , but would still require me to buy a replacement copy of their software.

Back