• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 Power Plan options changed after Fall Creators Update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

https://superuser.com/questions/1260031/power-plans-disappeared-after-windows-10-fall-update-1709

I noticed this on a customer's computer this morning. The High Performance option is gone. Only the Balance option is available but you can still customize it as you wish. And if you have High Performance already chosen before the Fall Creator Update installation it will remain as a visible option unless you change to something else. After that, it's gone.

The Fall Creator Update is being rolled out gradually so different machines will get it at different times. I believe this has been Microsoft's update deployment policy for Windows 10 all along. Even if you manually check for the Fall Creators Update you won't necessarily get it on any particular machine. I think it's different that way with the bi annual platform updates as opposed to the minor updates that are offered each month.

Last edited:
??????????

This was a scratch install. The update didn't work on my machine (I believe because of Samsung NVMe drivers).

pwr.jpg

No, it was not a scratch install. But it did give me problems on the customer's machine. I had to attempt the update several times. It acted like there was a broken or missing prerequisite but it finally took after several tries and a failed system restore attempt. And I have read on the net that many are having problems with getting the Fall Creators update to install properly. However, it installed without a hitch on my main desktop.

Ok. Just saying I have it... and from a scratch install. :)

Is it for laptops only? In your link hes talking about a laptop and has the battery icon, etc. From the first paragraph...
...Among them are changes to Windows power plans and potentially longer battery life from your laptop.

Last edited:
No, I have had it install on two machines in the past week. One laptop and one desktop. Neither was a scratch install. One had Windows 10 Pro and the other had Windows 10 HP.

The laptop was the one I noticed that the High Performance power plan option was gone but that was after I had temporarily switched the power plan from High Per. to Balanced and that was after the Fall Creator Update was installed. When I went to change it back to High Performance the only option was now Balanced. That's when I ran across the article I linked in the first post. I haven't tried switching from High Performance to something else on my desktop which has the Creator's Update also but High Performance still is an option on that one at the moment.

Are you thinking the disappearing power options might only happen on laptops and mobiles?

Last edited:
Weird... the article says (he was using a) laptop and it shows all options for me.

You can also bring the other options back according to that article linked too.

I wonder if this has happened to anyone else...?

According to what I have read, Microsoft will be eliminating or hiding some features in Windows 10 as time goes on. For instance, Control Panel. They removed the shortcut from the right click on start button menu already. You can still find it by searching but Microsoft says they will eliminate this feature altogether in time. The stated reason is to get more standardization of user experience across hardware platforms (i.e, the want Windows 10 to look and work the same on a mobile device as it does on a desktop or a laptop).

Last edited:
Just so you know that you're not going crazy:

I also just had the new Fall Creators Windows update install itself, and it deleted the High Performance option leaving me with balanced only. I only noticed because I lost the ability to play games and my computer went really slow. Re-adding the High Performance option fixed it.

Great job with planned obsolescence Micro$oft...

Back