• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 - how properly update to the last version?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crow846

Hi,

As some of you may already know :D I have installed a new copy of Windows 7 due to problems with Windows 10
And try to update Windows 7 to the last version (the copy is licensed).
Thanks to 'trents' I downloaded WSU offline and installed all the updates.
But do I still need to update Windows 7 via control panel?
Or just leave it saying 'you need to update you PC"?
It is annoying since I want for it to say that my PC is updated.

Thanks,

So, actually, you've updated (contrary to the thread title, lol) but need to know how to 'reset' the notification, right?

Have you tried to have it look for updates and it didnt reset?

The question was, Have I installed Windows 7 updates correctly ?
If no then what is the correct way.
Since I am not sure offline updates really worked.

Windows 7 had a broken updater at one time (over a year). Once you've updated with WSUS new updates may well (and will) become available and you'll be notified via Windows Update. Open Windows Update and pick one of the updates suggested. Check that update KBxxxxx through the "Installed Updates" link in the Update Window. If you've already installed it, then click on "Check For Updates", this will clear old notices and look for new updates. Don't be surprised if it finds them. :thup:

edit: Some updates won't show up (even to WSUS) until others are installed.

Last edited:
The question was, Have I installed Windows 7 updates correctly ?
If no then what is the correct way.
Since I am not sure offline updates really worked.

Have you tried to have it look for updates and it didnt reset?
Did you try to look for updates and see if it finds more and then goes away? That was my point there. :)

I have tried to look for updates but it messed things up at one point due to Asus mother board.
(It is the last time I pay $200 for Asus mother board, garbage when Gigabyte or MSI motherboards work perfectly good and are cheaper.)

Now it still show me some updates which failed to be installed but most os them did.
Guess it is the best I could do with WIndows 7.

Thank you!

Asus stoped updating this mother board drivers, even the bios was not updated since 2012 while other mother boards from the same release time were updating their bios until 2017,
So windows updates changed the boot files, since Asus featured a secure boot it prevented from windows to boot until you changed the boot to 'Other OS'.

ASUS is garbage...

They made several Sabertooth 990 FX iterations. I'm not aware of any being "garbage". I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest making sure you checked the right version (even though you likely did).
Sabertooth 990FX https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/SABERTOOTH 990FX/HelpDesk_Download/

Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/HelpDesk_Download/

Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2.0 https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FXGEN3_R20/HelpDesk_Download/

TUF Sabertooth 990FX R3.0 https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-SABERTOOTH-990FX-R3-0/HelpDesk_Download/

I have Sabertooth 990fx Gen3.0 R2.0. which cost me ~$200- insane price for amother board while MSI generic one was priced around $100 at the time. and worked just as good as this one.
If you will check closely you will notice that the Drivers were not updates since 2012 (release date). but a usless USB driver was updated untill 2015, go figure..
If you will check any other motherboard (Gigabyte for example) you will notice that even a cheap generic mother board usually updated to at least 2015 or even 2017.
Also I can't swap drivers with other iteration of this board that got lucky to get an update later on, I tried for the giggles of it.
And you can search for all the issue users had with this baord. I just never upodated my PC since I bought it and installed Windows 7 on and never over clocked it so I never noticed it.
Now I can't get rid of it since I will have to buy entirly new PC and I am not in the mood to spent more money on a toy. (I have a notebook for work)
Sure, It is not garbage.. their costumer support is garbage. not updating a mother board srivers since 2012... Now I can't install any OS newer Win7..

The MSI boards in AM3+ would stand a much better chance of not having lived this long. The chipset hasn't changed, no need to update drivers. I was referring to the BIOS itself. They also list drivers up to 2015 for different Windows versions all the way to Windows 10 in the Please Select OS sub menu at the top.

Sorry if i am a little edgy (after trying to make the ssd work for the past few days really got the best out of me)
But Bios is not the problem (not sure how bios effect the OS).
The problem are the Chip set drivers which are not optimised for windows 10.
My ssd wont work on Windows 10 since the sata drivers has a bug in windows 10.
or Microsoft has a bug with the sata chipset.

I am tired of trying to make this pc to work as it should and asus lack of updated
drivers doesnt help me.

I said that to him earlier/another thread(?) as well. I thought it was me who missed something...

But yeah for the version and rev of the board, there is a dropdown with W10 in there. It takes you to a page where the latest BIOS is from 2014 (v2501), and there are audio drivers. Otuside of that there are QVL lists etc. The LAN, USB, and chipset (2013) are older.

You can search and find issues on EVERY board... that logic need not apply. :)

EDIT:

I am tired of trying to make this pc to work as it should and asus lack of updated
drivers doesnt help me.
Its a bit long in the tooth anyway and missing modern amentities...Sell it and start with a new AMD system...

LOL, I keep seeing Kingstone (your sig, the ssd thread)... the company is Kingston. :)

I have 2501 Bios drivers installed since 2014/2015...
They still here, in the chip rom.
Maybe reinstall Bios drivers??
Will it help?

WSUS I recommend as well and I also use windows update, afterwards, to see what MS has to offer, or not. When Windows Update says you have no updates, that's considered 'the latest'. Other than your hardware manufacturer's websites downloads, there is also StationDrivers (https://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?lang=en). My mobo is old too and receives no more updates from the asrock site either but some of the hardware on it can and normally does have updates. For instance the audio, network, and video drivers are generally updated regardless of mobo. Hence stationdrivers which keeps tabs on many manufacturer's latest additions.
If you put 2 pieces of hardware together it's always a good idea to check what other people are using so you can get a headsup for compatibility issues, etc.
You the user are the best technician for your own rig. The more you know how it all ticks and tocks together the better you yourself can diagnose what it is that you want and/or it needs. I spent my first year computing simply installing the OS multiple times as I kept crashing it. Once you figure out how to get a stable boot the rest is a matter of figuring out how to get the utmost out of the running config.
I recommend processhacker, autoruns (sysinternals), geek uninstaller, wfc (windows firewall control), bleachbit, passwordsafe, VeeamAgentWindows_2.2.0.589, coretemp, protonVPN, and especially a dedicated UPS for power outages. Of course what soft you use to figure everything out will be based on your own personal preferences, but again that is a learning curve and no one but you can do that.
If the pc boots and all hardware is working, a reflash of the bios is a waste of your time. Year and version do not matter if it works.
20 years later and I still no less than most on these boards. In win7, generally speaking, any usb updates from MS actually broke my mouse upon occasion and I had to use a backup image recovery. I do not recommend the built-in system restore at all. It is absurd when something goes wrong and system restore can't fix it (like EVERY time). Wtf good does that do? About all it's really good for is if you accidentally uninstall something, or simply configure it in a way that you don't like and can't figure out how to go back. Useless.
You need to know what are the exact components of your mobo to update them alone, and forget about the mobo itself. The problem with that board is the absolute lame statement about being "Windows 8 Ready". That and the 'Hotfix' for the 'ASUS Product Registration Program'-lol.

Last edited:
Back