• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Windows 7 or 8? OEM or Retail?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Browny

I am looking to build a pc and I finally got to the last stage of my list of components with the OS :bang head . I have heard hardly anything good about windows 8? And I can't seem to understand what's so bad about it. And also what's so bad about using an OEM, can you reinstall windows onto a computer like you would with a recovery disk from a pre-built PC.

Anyone could help clear it up please?

Also I will have 16GB RAM, and will be using software such as PowerDirector 11 and Photoshop CS6.

:welcome: to OCForums!

What most people don't like about Windows 8 is the new interface and no option to go back to the "Start Menu" interface everyone is used to. It seems to be designed for touchscreen devices as top priority, which can make using a mouse an keyboard awkward to some.

The OEM version will work fine, just every time you install it after the first you'll most likely have to call Microsoft for activation.

^ +1.

I recommend people buy OEM just because it's cheaper...
It can be reinstalled...and at least with similar hardware, it will activate just fine.
If you change hardware and it won't activate, a quick call to MS will fix that.

As for 7 VS 8, it all depends on what you would prefer.
I've read that the start button can be added again with a program so that it can be used like previous versions of windows.

Do a little research on it and figure out what you'd rather go with.
Haven't looked at benchmarks lately, but I think 8 is a little faster/snappier then 7.
I can get W8 for free through my university, but I'm sticking with 7 for now as I don't want to take the time to do a whole new OS install and re setup everything.

I just learned today that Microsoft changed their OEM end user license agreement (EULA) for Windows 7. Basically it is now illegal to use an OEM copy of Windows on a system that you built for yourself. It is only legal to use the OEM version if you intend to sell the system to a third party. I really doubt that Microsoft cares that much or that they would do anything to stop DIY-ers from using OEM software. That being said... if you like doing things the legal way it's best to but the retail software. It costs a little more but it gives you the advantage of moving the OS to a new PC in the future.

Why not go with Windows 8 and simply install Classic Shell?

You would then get Windows 7 interface + any benefits of Windows 8.

Back