• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Pro 32bit wont run 8bit software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hello,

At work we run 32bit windowns on some machines to be able to run a certain piece of software. I just setup a new machine, thats just unable to run it.

It simply wont launch Dos/c-promt software? Anyone have this happen?

EDIT Sorry i mean 8bit software

Last edited:
Maybe you need an emulator? If the 8bit software is DOS software, as far as I remember they dropped DOS emulation with windows XP.

Dosbox is not an option, if Dos box was an option, then i would be running 64Bit.
Short reason for why, is that Dosbox cannot handle the commands we send out from this software to printers and IP phones. But if anyone here can solve that issue, i would be super happy, since so far no IT company we have involved at been able to solve that issue.

I currently have 8 machines running Windows 7 Pro 32bit, running this 8bit software daily no issues, but we needed to upgrade one machine, and this is the one machine, that refuses to run the software.
I wanted to know if its windows, a change in something so 32bit will no longer run 8bit, or if something like a driver can give these issues.

Hardware:
Asus H170I-Plus D3
I5 6400
4Gb DDR3 ram
500gb hdd.

I have a feeling its the hardware blocking it?

OK, does it give out any error ? does the mouse cursor change for a split second (meaning it tries to load it) or nothing at all ? have you double checked that the cmd.exe/command.com is in the designated folder (maybe try to run it as admin if another software is blocking it) ? Have you tried Windows safe mode ?

extra troubleshooting :

1- Open run
2- Regedit
3- HKEY_CURRENT_USER
4- "Software"
5- "Policies"
6- "Microsoft"
7- "Windows"
8- "System"
9- double click "DisableCMD"
10- change the value from "1" to "0"

1- Open run
2- Regedit
3- HKEY_CURRENT_USER
4- "Console"
5- double click "Fullscreen"
6- change the value from "1" to "0"

DOSBox printing if it helps : http://www.printfil.com/efaq32.htm

Doesn't MS have a XP VM for Windows 7?
Only on Pro and above. Ive never gotten it to work right, but on all fairness Ive only tried a few times. It may be viable for things other than what I tested (old games and such)

The OP has W7 Pro. I used the XP VM a few years ago and had no problems with it. Used it with W7 Home, in fact. LOL. No idea how that one slipped past M$. I just didn't know if it was still available.

Update.

I did some digging around, and slowly started to get a better understanding, at first it seemed that it was failing to run the .bat script, which is known to to have happened with W7, i then went and tried to run batchfix, which ran, and changed nothing.
After digging into the batch file, and picking out the .exe software its suppose to launch, i hit another wall, and one that seems to be more lightly to be the issue.

Windows does not want to launch the .exe file. I then walked over to one the other W7 32bit rigs, and launched the file without any issues, so it appears to be that it gets stuck on the .exe program.

There was a fix for this in Windows own help online, i have now done this, but due to the password on the machine being unknown for me, i need to wait.

But would anyone have an idea as to why it may refuse to run the .exe software? As said, it runs without issues on all other W7 32bit units i have running.

Back