• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Installation Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wheelzup

Registered
This one is driving me nuts, first here are the basic specs of the system I'm trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit version on:

Core 2 Extreme QX9650

Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6

Patriot Viper 4GB DDR3 1800 Dual Channel Kit

Gigabyte GV-R4870X2 Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB video card

Zalman 850W PSU

1 WD 320GB Raptor HD

1 WD 640GB HD

Now the problem, I had been running Vista Ultimate on the above system and I built a new system which I put Windows 7 64 bit on and I liked it well enough to spring for another copy of Windows 7 64 bit version. I backed up all my files on an external HD and put it off to the side for safe keeping. Then I proceeded to install the new OS by wiping everything out to get a fresh clean install. Everything was moving along fine until it got to the point where it was finishing up the installation where it seemed to hang for a long time but it finally did restart but from there it should have taken me to the screens for the key code and my info but all I got was a black screen yet my cursor was there and I could move it around. I waited a bit and nothing happened which was a far cry from how easily it installed on my brand new build. I restarted it and it took me to the screen where you can choose to start windows in safe mode or normal. It only went so far then stopped. I thought maybe I had a bad disc so I got out my new computers Windows disc to see if it would install and I figured if it did I had a bad disc but it did the same thing as the disc I had tried first. Then I went back to my Vista disc and the darn thing installed like there was nothing to it. Needless to say I'm stumped on this one.

Any ideas guys and gals what the devil is going on with my slightly older system? Oh yea I even tried changing all my settings to the defaults except for the boot sequence.

Back