• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 won't boot? What??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arbiter Odie

Hello everyone! I have a problem on my hands, and I’m hoping some of you can shed some light.

I’ve been testing the Windows 8 Consumer Preview on my Vertex 2. It’s slowly growing on me.
There is another hard drive in the computer. It is a rotational hard drive, 500 gigabytes in size. Windows 7 is installed on it.

Yesterday, I downloaded a file while running on the Windows 7 hard drive. Later, I re-booted to the Windows 8 side. I realized that I needed the downloaded file.
I navigated to the windows 7 hard drive. I opened it, navigated to the “users” folder, and tried to open it. I got a “permission denied” rejection message. I pressed the “Allow Access” button. That was a Bad Idea.

The status bar progressed slowly for about two minutes. Then I got the same rejection message again. I decided to just reboot, place the file on the server, and boot back to the windows 8 drive.

That’s when I realized how badly I’d messed things up. Upon booting to the 7 disk, chdsk started up. I skipped it, thinking it was confused (my other computer does it every time I switch between windows installations), and the windows logo animation played.

And then it booted to a black screen. The cursor is visible and movable. I can’t log in, I can’t use control-alt-delete.
I restart, and let chdsk run this time. It finds corrupted files, fixes them, and then decides that some security permissions are wrong. It chews through two-hundred fifty thousand files for several hours. It finishes, and reboots.

Same black screen. Same cursor.

For a (pleasant) change, this computer doesn’t have anything critical on it. Never the less, it would be most unpleasant to re-install every single program (one of my family members has an incredible number of games on it.)

Does anybody know what to do? I’ve limited my response to things that won’t cause any more problems. Running the windows repair disk’s bootup repair does nothing; it doesn’t see anything wrong.

Thank you all for any ideas you may have.

Odie

I am sorry I can't be of help but when I lost my Windows 9x installation 15 years ago like that, I partitioned the drive and installed the OS on a relatively small partition and all the large APPS/GAMES on another partition. I set things just like I wanted and made a drive image.

Then when, and for 15 years it's always been when, not if, Windows blows up, you simply reimage it back to the state when everything was just like you set it up.

I would never install a monthly Windows update without imaging first, let alone a Beta OS.

I had trouble multibooting with Windows 8 when first Betas came out so I decided to wait for Win8 Final.

Good luck figuring things out, worst case scenario, get your data off of the drive while you can if a hard drive diagnostic tells you your hard drive is failing. It wouldn't hurt to run a quick Memtest either.

Back