• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 won't install (please help)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grucebower22

So I just finished a build, have not built a computer for about 5 years but I know quite a bit.

I am installing Windows 7 from a cd as an ISO file after using ImgBurn
I have used many windows ISO files and installed from a CD. I am using a Windows XP ISO instillation right now.

Here is my problem,
I have gotten through the installation process. Past the part where you select which drive you are installing, I am putting the OS on my SSD and currently have XP on my hard drive just so I could use the Internet to do research.

I get to the Updating Registry settings part, then it takes me to the starting windows screen after that my screen goes black and my computer restarts to a black screen which asks me if i want to run in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, last know good configuration everything I select it continues to do the same thing over and over.

I have disconnected the HD so its only booting from the SSD I have changed the settings in BIOS to boot from the SSD
I have tried to BOOT from a USB flash drive nothing I do will work and I have spent about 20 hours in the last 2 weeks trying to figure this out....
I know the computer is fine because I had a burned ISO of windows XP and that installed and is running fine. I have ran memtest passes 100% I have tried each stick of ram one at a time. I have ran windows 7 compatibility and everything clears at this point I have no idea what the issue is maybe something needs to be adjusted in BIOS?

If anyone can help at all I'd really appreciate it. Hopefully I have given enough information to narrow down the problems.

if anyone needs build information

Phenom 965 BE 3.4
212 hyper evo
gigabyte 990fx ud3 rev 1.1
gskill 1886mhz 8gb DDR3
( I have not adjusted the settings in BIOS and as of now it only reads it as 1600mhz, I want to get the operating system installed before I mess with overclocking but this could be an issue? I'm not sure)
1tb HD
120GB SSD
620w M2 Silent pro
Old 7950gx2 graphics card waiting on my 7970 on the mail

IDE, because I have 3 copies of windows 7 and I have used 2 of them on other computers

Do I need to change any settings in BIOS for it to accept a 64bit OS? I feel like that is the problem because windows XP 32bit installs and runs fine.

It installs, restarts goes to the starting windows screen then it goes black and my computer restarts.... Is there a way I can bring up an error code?

No you can't bring up a error code. Do you have the other drive with XP disconnected when you install the OS and startup?

yes, I tried windows 7 on the new build before I installed XP I have formatted the drive numerous times when attempting to install windows 7. I have also tried on both my SSD and HD :/ 20+ hours trying to get this resolved

I hate to say it sounds like the copy of windows 7 is corrupted, I would try a different copy just to see.

Back