• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 and Gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lillebusy

Registered
I'm in the process of collecting pieces for a new gaming build and am down to just a few pieces now, one of which is the operating system. I'm running a gaming desktop with XP (with disks) and a laptop with Windows 7 on it (no disks).

It looks like there is a great deal to upgrade xp -> Windows 8 at the moment for $40. I've been trying to find out more about Windows 8 and games, but threads seem to dwell mostly on interface and clicking issues. I like 7 on my laptop and would prefer to buy another one all things being equal, but if 7 is $100 and 8 will be $40 for me the picture looks a bit different.

Has anyone had any trouble with gaming under Windows 8?

Does anyone have a large library of legacy games on Steam or hard media that has installed and tried a bunch of them on Windows 8?

I know there was some rumor mongering (started by Gabe?) going on about Win8 and gaming, but is there any better evidence of upcoming problems?

I think I can handle learning a new interface, but I really don't want any problems with running old games that Win7 will run happily.

I have had no troubles gaming, in fact, I've benchmarked both OSes and the difference was in the limits of uncertainty (1-2fps). I've tried a lot of benchmarks, and games from Doom 3 to Skyrim, including Crysis and Crysis 2.

The only problem is that Metro UI without a touch screen == POS.

Gaben won't stop supporting Windows. No need to worry.

There are some games that do not work well with 8. I have yet to get Hitman Sniper Challenge to work.

but for the most part, i think they OS is so close to 7 most games should work without issue.

Also Start Menu X.

adds start button to windows 8 acts mostly the same way as the "old school" windows 7.

I have yet to go to the metro menu.

I have had no troubles gaming, in fact, I've benchmarked both OSes and the difference was in the limits of uncertainty (1-2fps). I've tried a lot of benchmarks, and games from Doom 3 to Skyrim, including Crysis and Crysis 2.

The only problem is that Metro UI without a touch screen == POS.

Gaben won't stop supporting Windows. No need to worry.

Its reassuring to hear that games like Doom3 will still work nicely. I understand that Metro is not popular, but that some people have managed to use Win8 without using Metro (maybe with addons?).

There are some games that do not work well with 8. I have yet to get Hitman Sniper Challenge to work.

but for the most part, i think they OS is so close to 7 most games should work without issue.

Also Start Menu X.

adds start button to windows 8 acts mostly the same way as the "old school" windows 7.

I have yet to go to the metro menu.

What other games have you found (or heard) don't work? I'd hate to see an old favorite die (like SimCity 4 Deluxe, XCOM, etc.)

Since there were no horror stories about Steam libraries not working with Windows 8, I've made the jump.

I would have been happy with Windows 7, but I'm putting together a new build and would like to sell off the old system intact and so the price of a fresh install was the driving factor for me (once I assumed Win8 and gaming were compatible).

Staples has a pre-order for what they call Windows 8 Pro Full which I got for $45 with a coupon. I'm pretty sure I would have had to pay double that for Windows 7 and it would likely have been OEM to boot.

Thank you to those that offered their insight.

The biggest issue I had with Win 8 was for some reason about 1/2 the time It wouldn't load my nVidia driver correctly at boot time and I had to restart to fix it. Other than that all my games pretty much play the same.

Back