• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've installed it on my MacBook Pro using Parallels and have been using it for about 2 weeks. So far i really like it, but that may be because i've never used Win7. The metro UI works well with the trackpad aside from sensitivity issues but that applies to all versions of Windows in my experience. I do have trouble accessing programs that I just installed if I dont put a shortcut in the desktop. There seems to be no way to run the program without going through the Start Screen. Aside from that, task manager is amazing and so are the boot times.

My PC runs Vista x64. I'm still deciding whether or not i should wait for win8 or give in to win7 already.

i have had family of mine (non-techies) try it out on my computer. I personally believe in having something set-up for the lowest common denominator as if someone idiotic can use it, then it can't be all that bad.

Not a single person so far (out of 5 I have tried) have been able to navigate in Windows 8. Just from observing them (and personal use observations), Metro is about as unintuitive as can be.

i have had family of mine (non-techies) try it out on my computer. I personally believe in having something set-up for the lowest common denominator as if someone idiotic can use it, then it can't be all that bad.

Not a single person so far (out of 5 I have tried) have been able to navigate in Windows 8. Just from observing them (and personal use observations), Metro is about as unintuitive as can be.

Ha, I did the same thing with my family. They didn't do so well without the start button.

Windows 8 is great for tablets, touch-monitors and phones. For the desktop there is no point moving away from Windows 7.

I haven't tried Windows 8 yet, from screens and such, I may have to stick around Windows 7 for a while which isn't bad considering it was only $30 to begin with :p

I'm not sure if I really don't like the metro ui or if I'm just used to the old way and it will take getting used to and then I'll like it. One thing I don't like (maybe I'm just completely missing something) is the inability to close out of apps without task manager or alt+f4. Also does anyone know how to uninstall internet explorer?

One thing I don't like (maybe I'm just completely missing something) is the inability to close out of apps without task manager or alt+f4.

I hope they haven't been stupid enough to go the Android route. I generally like Android but REALLY REALLY hate the "self" memory management feature. One my Xperia Arc it means frequent crashes. I'm intelligent enough (barely) to "switch" to another app vs "closing" an app when I'm done with it. When I close an app I want it closed.

Even Andriod is finally moving away from this. With ICS 4.0.4 on the Xoom, there's a feature that trun off the app completely when I move away from it.

I hope they haven't been stupid enough to go the Android route. I generally like Android but REALLY REALLY hate the "self" memory management feature. One my Xperia Arc it means frequent crashes. I'm intelligent enough (barely) to "switch" to another app vs "closing" an app when I'm done with it. When I close an app I want it closed.

Even Andriod is finally moving away from this. With ICS 4.0.4 on the Xoom, there's a feature that trun off the app completely when I move away from it.

Auto-end helps with this kind of thing in Gingerbread.

I hate to revive a dead thread, and it's taken me a while to actually get the preview installed. Now that I've done it, the installer worked fine, then it rebooted, said it was configuring and installing some more things or whatever, once it was done with that, my monitor screen goes completely black with nothing but a cursor. If I hit anything on the keyboard, it reboots, if not, it just stays there.

Let me tell you, this is such an upgrade over Windows 7, it's just astounding what advances in software technology has achieved! It is completely immune to viruses and can't even crash! You have a mouse cursor to point at the darkness and give you a faint glimmer of hope that everything is going to be alright, and if you get too scared, you can strike a key on the keyboard and it will start over again, show you the fish, and go back into the dark. What will they think of next!?!

^^^ Yeah, I've got to say I'm a fan of Windows 8. Runs on my truly ancient 1.6ghz c2d notebook and is lightning fast. While I do hate the Metro interface itself, I find I can use the in built search function to get to pretty much everything. I'll be purchasing a copy of Win 8 Pro for my main rig once its released. My copy of Windows 7 Pro can be moved to my HTPC.

^^^ Yeah, I've got to say I'm a fan of Windows 8. Runs on my truly ancient 1.6ghz c2d notebook and is lightning fast. While I do hate the Metro interface itself, I find I can use the in built search function to get to pretty much everything. I'll be purchasing a copy of Win 8 Pro for my main rig once its released. My copy of Windows 7 Pro can be moved to my HTPC.

And what about just buying the upgrade to Win 8 and installing MythTV into your HTPC?

Greetings!
Did Microsoft Just Give Up on Windows 8 for Businesses?
Related to this second point is information I’ve received that Microsoft has been furiously ripping out legacy code in Windows 8 that would have enabled third parties to bring back the Start button, Start Menu, and other software bits that could have made this new OS look and work like its predecessor. In fact, I’ve seen that several well-known UI hacks that worked fine with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview are no longer functional in the coming Release Preview. And those with hopes that Microsoft would allow businesses, at least, to boot directly to the desktop should prepare for disappointment. That feature not only isn’t happening, it’s being removed from Windows Server 12 (Windows 8’s stable mate) as well.

Microsoft hasn’t made such an obviously consumer-centric version of Windows since Millennium Edition (Windows Me), and the question isn’t whether businesses will ignore this release, as they did Windows Vista. Of course they will.

I still have 3 unused win7 keys and all 8 of my licenses are the full pro version and are portable to future PCs :beer:

windows 8 IMO is like windows mobile for your PC rofl

Yeah microsoft elected to incorporate the metro platform across the board. As for using the consumer preview, I believe the next release comes out tomorrow, so you might want to use that.

Is the RP mildly stable? Does it support Steam and such (DirectX, drivers...)? I may think of installing it as a native OS.

EDIT: Owowowowowowowow. 20 hours. Any torrent mirrors available?

Back