• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 install suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slovakbrit

Hi This I hope will help a few people who are installing Windows 8
I have just installed it on my PC and my other half's laptop, whenever I do an OS upgrade I do two things , first I usually upgrade my OS and programs drive so his time I treated myself to a OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD. secondly I always clean the drive if I am not using a new one and then do a free space wipe as in the past I have found that the most problems come from lingering bits of the last system.
This was always easy with former Windows versions because as you applied the update, it asked for a previous version CD or ser no's, Win 8 does not work the same, it searches your drive for info on the previous version, so the first time I installed it on the laptop it went all the way then told me it could not activate.
If this happens to you what you do is restart from the medium that you have the new Windows on IE: CD or Stick, do a complete custom install, don't format and it will be fine I have done this now on both systems including the new SSD and all is good, it activated right away.
From my point of view I think Win 8 is much faster especially on my system, the SSD loads to the lock screen in 4 secs and Photoshop in 5 secs so I am quite impressed and my system is 4 years old so I can't wait to get my new design up and running, hope this is of help
PS. One thing I have always done is disable auto updates on every program except Windows, saves time.

Last edited:
personally i never do the upgrade option it always leaves to much junk behind,
i back up anything i want to keep from the old OS then format the drive and do a clean install.

I do exactly the same thing, I meant it was an upgrade from MS not a full programme, and this time I was using new drives anyway...

Back