• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows and Linux OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I bought parallels for my Mac and have been very happy with its functionality both for Windows and Linux VMs. I am :censored: at them right now though because of their forced upgrade payment on OS X 10.8.0; I am using Virtual Box right now on my Mac until I get around to paying them AGAIN. Parallels has outperformed VMWare for a long time and has been at the top of the market for a while.

were you coming from an older version? i bought version 8 and it worked just fine.

Yeah I have v6, I bought it a couple weeks before 7 came out; they are offering an upgrade price of $50 that I will probably do soon

Partition SSD and install both Windows and Linux on SSD (different partitions).

Be sure to disconnect every other hard drive from the system when installing Windows and Linux because Linux can be a nightmare to uninstall because it changes master boot records of every hard drive connected to the system, without warning.

Use this to switch b/w Linux and Windows:
Download Page [Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]:
http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1
http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=642

For others reading this, again beware: when doing an actual Linux install anywhere, even on USB Flash drive, Linux will change the Master Boot Record on your Windows hard drive, making it unbootable after you take the USB stick out, even if your Windows hard drive wasn't selected anywhere during the Linux installation (!) Linux does this without any warning. Most newcomers find this out the hard way - after which they cannot boot into Windows and have to spend time fixing their system drive's master boot record.

Lets say a laptop has two drive bays. Could you load windows on one, remove it. Then linux on the other, and replace the windows drive without issue, just select which drive to boot off of? Would removing the Linux drive STILL screw with the Windows one?

I personally want a thin client setup like maybe open thin client but have neither the resources nor knowledge of servers themselves to make it happen as yet. Virtualbox works perfect for me if I install from it's gui but I wanted to make a windows vdi image and then simply load it up in saline's virtualbox but of course it didn't work and I'm too lazy to reinstall what I already have installed.
Most hard rives these days are fully capable sizewise of having two os's on them. There is no good reason to not use grub nor switch drives. You can still encrypt the boot sector I believe.

Ok, so far not so pleased with the VM performance on my laptop, haven't tried on my PC yet, but thinking of doing a dual boot instead.

If I following these instructions from Ubuntu, would I avoid the issues discussed in this thread? There wont be any nasty surprises, that I wont be expected?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Thanks

Ok, so far not so pleased with the VM performance on my laptop, haven't tried on my PC yet, but thinking of doing a dual boot instead.

If I following these instructions from Ubuntu, would I avoid the issues discussed in this thread? There wont be any nasty surprises, that I wont be expected?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Thanks

Hi, any input from anyone on my last post above? Thanks.

You have a UEFI board. Just install Linux using UEFI and GPT. Same goes for Windows 7.

I could help you with Arch Linux, but if it's your first time with Linux, you'll hate Arch Linux new installer. Basically, it's DIY. No fancy graphic installers. I don't know if Ubuntu has a UEFI boot function, might as well install it on a VM and check it for you.

When you insert the installation disc, make sure you choose the entry that looks like:
UEFI: ATAPI IHAS124 and not the one that looks like CDROM: ATAPI IHAS124.

When installing with UEFI, you don't have MBR (in fact you use the GPT for partition table instead of MBR). Then it adds an entry to your BIOS to boot WBM (Windows) or Linux. It's pretty neat, too.
You can also chainload UEFI-GPT installs. Look at the Arch Linux Wiki for this.

Back