• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows antivirus and security solutions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
..long time Linux user here, will be getting a new laptop(mentioned here) that I'll be keeping Windows 10 pro, for conducting business. I don't want to deal with cross platform difficulties, just want to be 'on-the-same-page' with my colleagues.

Does Windows 10 require 3rd party software to protect against malware still? Which antivirus / malware suites would you all recommend? Effectiveness and non-obtrusiveness would be my top concerns.

I don't run anything extra. I just run at normal settings and manually run windows virus protection on a full scan weekly. Avoiding risky clicks is pretty effective for me at least.

Same. I let Windows Defender/Firewall, etc do its thing. That and good browsing habits have kept me clean.

For my kids/family, Malwarebytes has worked well for me.

Same here for years. Winderz security, good browsing habits, haven't had a virus issue in many years, decades. Did have my Yahoo email contact list extracted, thanks Yahoo. That was a fun 24 hours.

In addition to Windows Security, I run uBlock Origin ad blocker in my browsers. A hacked ad is probably the most likely source of malware when you exercise safe browsing. I haven't run into one in many years, but my MIL manages to find them searching for recipes. :rofl:

The last independent lab testing I looked at (about a year ago) demonstrated that Windows Defender in Windows 10 afforded protection as good as any of the commercial products. If you use the Chrome browser or the new Edge (now uses the Chrome engine) I would also install the Windows Defender Chrome browser extension. And as others have mentioned, I would install Malwarebytes free version for a second opinion and run it occasionally as it is an on demand scanner. This combo has kept me squeaky clean for quite awhile.

Thanks all, glad to see that I won't need to use AVG or Avira or ? as they have been invasive(for lack of a better word) at least in the past. The laptop does have McAfee trial version, which has been pretty quiet so far, and not attempted to twist my arm for a subscription.

I've run eset for a number of years, which seems to have done the job. I use the laptop for work and we're required to have an Antivirus (and encrypt our drive) - technically we're meant to use the site-licence of MacAfee but it's painfully bad.

I've run Avast for years with no problems. I will say it has become rather annoying with all the "upgrade" choices so I've been looking around for another option. Maybe I will give Windows Defender a run. Ultimately I think it comes down to smart browsing habits as someone said above, regardless of what antivirus is used though. I also use an adblocker as someone said above to block all the nonsense that could happen through them.

Used to swear by Eset's NOD32 and firewall stuff, but have been on just Defender for about 6-7 years now with no issues. Every now n then I'll run Malwarebytes, but even that's been rare now. Browse wisely, AdBlock and uBlock Origin in Chrome because either misses some that the other catches, and issue free for nearly a decade.

Used to use an enterprise suite from Symantec at work but it's still boggy and slow on any system it was on, and hubby has Eset Enterprise something or other on his work MBP and dual-Xeon workstation which he says works fine with no noticeable issues as of yet.

For what it sounds like you're doing Defender should be fine, or maybe see if your company has anything on offer?

The key to security, imo, is restricting stuff from the net via a fw (explorer.exe? BLOCKED, both of them). That and of course good browsing habits. My roommate is so stupid he clicks on the ads and consistently gets his homepage hijacked. I refuse to touch his pc anymore. DONE. I'm still running 7 and have used ONLY clamwin free for many years now with almost zero issues. My desktop has a fresh install of 7 and not only did I disable defender, I blocked the exe's from the net. Bloat to me and that's all it will ever be.
The insecurity is the internet, not your pc (win10 not incl). Restricting what is allowed on the net and not downloading 'games' or clicking every link will go a long ways in providing basic security. TG the days of simply connecting to windows update and getting a virus are gone. Aint windows grand? More like lame.

Last edited:
Yes, you would need an Anti Virus. At least I use one to be on the safer side. I advise you the same if the business is what you are going to use it for.
The best choice in this case is MalwareBytes. It is the best Anti-Virus out in the market.
I use the free version on one of my casual devices and the licensed version on my "Business" laptop.
You should try the free version and then decide you want it or not.

Back