• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best intro books for understanding UEFI and Windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Antisthenes

Registered
Can anyone please recommend good introduction books/resources (for dummies) in order to really understand the structure of UEFI and Windows?

I'm totally new to computer programming, and only know the simplest way to overclock my i7-6700k on an Asus Maximus VIII Impact mini-ITX, but want to learn everything necessary to troubleshoot, overclock and optimize high-end computers for gaming only.

For example: 1) knowing which services to disable in Windows (instead of just blindly following Black Viper's suggestions), 2) how to safely tweak the registry in the most optimal way, 3) genuinely understand how to overcklock, control fans in BIOS, and update UEFI, 4) secure a rig against virus and (firmware/rootkit) hacking without slowing down games, 5) recognize virus and spyware programs (in Windows Task Manager), 6) only installing Windows updates that will not have a negative impact on gaming, 7) truly knowing which third party programs will actually improve a G-sync monitor, 8) install game mods safely, without compromising security, and 9) optimizing my internet settings for online gaming.

First need a book that explains all the (basic) jargon used in manuals about UEFI and Windows. Explanations that are pedagogic and step-by-step. Tired of trying to read books and manuals that just assume that the reader is already familiar with computer programming.

The goal is to get a very thorough understanding of UEFI and Windows now, so that it will be easier to quickly troubleshoot any problems that might occur later one day, during for instance overclocking or installing mods for games, (like for example the relatively advanced FAR mod for Nier Automata). Willing to go pretty deep into coding and basic programming, but only if this is necessary to really understand what I'm doing when tweaking a gaming rig.

I don't think there are any major books out there for those topics as they are relatively niche. I think overall you are better off googling any terms you are uncertain of or asking here and we can try to provide some explanation for a term that you don't understand.

The tweaking of registry/services I imagine are done in some fashion through trial and error, which is why most people point to blackviper's site as a starting point and then playing with settings from there to improve performance or functionality as needed.

You will have a tough time finding anything specific regarding UEFI as pretty much every brand/OEM has their own branded naming conventions and features that aren't always available on other boards either. That's generally where the manual comes into play then googling the term if it is something that is just a name for that particular board's feature.

Ok, will just start googling all the words and terms I don't understand in UEFI, registry and services then. It's prb faster than reading long books about the entire systems of Windows and UEFI. Thanks for reply :)

For example: 1) knowing which services to disable in Windows (instead of just blindly following Black Viper's suggestions), 2) how to safely tweak the registry in the most optimal way, 3) genuinely understand how to overcklock, control fans in BIOS, and update UEFI, 4) secure a rig against virus and (firmware/rootkit) hacking without slowing down games, 5) recognize virus and spyware programs (in Windows Task Manager), 6) only installing Windows updates that will not have a negative impact on gaming, 7) truly knowing which third party programs will actually improve a G-sync monitor, 8) install game mods safely, without compromising security, and 9) optimizing my internet settings for online gaming.
1. There isn't a need to touch anything in the first place, really...
2. Again, no need to tweak anything.
3. Read the manual for your board for fan control and update UEFI.
4. Install an AV... read up on which is best.
5. Good luck. Chances are they do not show a thing, really. THis is what AV applications are for. ;)
6. Very few have a negative impact on gaming in the first place. Not something to worry about.
7. I have no idea where this question is going. The drivers for the GPU will be fine.
8. That is game dependent.
9. Not too much to do there, just prioritize the gaming traffic using the software for the LAN assuming it includes it, which most do.

I wish I had known about a book like that when I got my first rig. I broke XP on a daily basis, and reinstalling XP on the Dell took so long it was actually faster to just dig in and figure out how to fix it myself. As fast as W10 installs, I would have broken it 4 times a day. LOL. I got real familiar with what folders are supposed to be there and what's in them, real fast.
Fortunately, Bill Gates and company did most of that for me with later OS versions. (A little too much with W10, IMO) I've spent years getting my W7 install "just right" and W10 is faster out of the box, even with all the annoying garbage turned on. The hours needed for the OP's stated goals would yield better results earning the cash for better hardware=better results anyway. At least, after GPU prices settle down. My $.02.

Back