• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help plz, installing windows 10, uefi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ysfm17

Registered
Hi

I've installed " ADATA SX8200 NVMe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD " and want to do clean installation for windows 10 UEFI mode.

the problem I have the installation always stuck after file copying , the system restart and nothing more.

I tried to change the boot between UEFI , legacy , also disabled , nothing helped .
the most far point i could reach , " Getting Ready " and stuck after that.

I tried installing windows on legacy mode , then convert to GPT , still always get failed error.

tried to flash the bios
reinstalled windows USB

what shall I do?
i checked the drive its is GPT.

My system

Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 ( Bios F23 )
G.Skill [Trident Z] F4-3200C14D-32GTZ
Ryzen 1800X
Asus RX Vega 64
PSU 750

You "tried to flash the bios"? Did you succeed?

Sounds like you might have a corrupt installer. I would use a different USB stick and remake the installer. How did you do this in the first place? Did you buy one of those ready made installers off of ebay or did you make your own using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool? From the Media Creation Tool website you can create your own installer.

If you intent to install to an M.2 drive then you must setup your bios first to do that. You will also need the AMD drivers on a flash drive handy for Windows installer to use to work with the drive during the installation process.

Windows 10 should find all the drives on the system that are initialized and allow you to install on any of them. If OP has already determined that the m.2 SSD is formatted in GPT then it must be initialized. But let's check and make sure of that.

ysfm17, does the the m.2 SSD show up in bios and is it one of the drives listed in the boot order in bios?

M.2 boot requires UEFI/GPT. UEFI firmware uses a driver for this known as an Oprom driver. Windows installer needs a driver compatible with the Oprom driver to install with.

Sounds to me like the OP is able to initiate the Windows install but it needs drivers to continue. They should see the option of F6 Add driver but they make no mention of that.

Windows 10 should have that driver natively. My own system uses an m.2 NVME and I never had to add any drivers during install. I've never heard of anyone else on the forum needing to add m.2 drivers during install. I certainly could see that needing to be done with an older OS, however.

Yes to both, the OP makes no mention of OS version involved. Win 8 - 10 have NVMe support natively and therefore should have no problem with Windows installation. Win 7 and earlier do not have native support for NVMe. There is a hotfix for Win 7 to support NVMe however, if you are installing Win 7 then the drivers need to be injected into the Windows installer prior to running the installer. There are how-to's on the net on that process.

Maybe the OP will revisit and provide more information on progress or looking for more help.

Actually, he does specify the OS he is working with in post #1. It's in the title and also in the first line after, his greeting:

"Hi

I've installed " ADATA SX8200 NVMe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD " and want to do clean installation for windows 10 UEFI mode."

Last edited:
Back