• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 10 help :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haturee

Starting with specs
Gigabyte z390 ultra
I5 9600k
Fractal Celsius s36
16gb trident z rgb
500gb 970 evo plus
2Tb HD

Okay, so I only had the m.2 in and tried to boot from disk. It got to the microsoft logo amd the bubbles popped up for loading but shortly after froze.

Then I found out that sometimes you cant boot straight to an m.2 so I installed the 2tb and tried to format that, same issues. Even tried with the m.2 removed. Nothing.

So I repeated all of those steps with a bootable flash drive, still the same effect. Where it is getting confusing is if I boot either disk or usb in eufi, I get absolutly nothing. I get post code 78 and occasionally 61. If i enable legacy and try to boot either option in legacy, I will get the windows logo but no loading dots any more. But it will have the AE code which means it's good.

Any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated greatly.

https://defkey.com/2019/04/25/gigabyte-aorus-z390-debug-led-codes - 61 NVRAM initialization, 78 ACPI Core initialization ?

No clue on 61 NVRAM initialization, but Google-fu says it has something to do with the USB ports :(

Error code 78 - ACPI core initialization - Unplug the PC and then remove the CMOS battery for 1 minute. Replace the CMOS battery and hold down the clear CMOS switch on the back of the motherboard for 30 seconds. Now plug the PC back in and attempt to power up. If you still have the same issue then try removing the CPU and inspect the CPU socket and motherboard using a magnifying glass for damage and/or bent pins. If no damage is visible then reassemble your Pc and attempt another power on. If you still have the same issue then you are down to the motherboard or CPU. Contact Gigabyte Support if you think it's the motherboard ?

I also read that on google and the people who said the cpu had nothing to do with it. So I decided to leave the cpu you. As per any installation I tripple checked to make sure everything was good as it was going in to eliminate the need to redo it all.

I tried everything outside of that that google has said, to no avail, which is why I finally decided to come here to see if anyone has had this problem and or has a solution.

Yes, I personally reformatted the drives, tried 2 different ones. An 8GB and 16gb, both in fat32 both active primary drives.

The first attempt with the drives I used Microsoft's tool that they have on their website, the second time I tried using a third party tool to format it to the drives, I'm on my phone right now cant remember the name of the 3rd party tool. But it's what the top google search recommended. I even tried a third party drive formater once to see if that would work, still nothing.

Just read somewhere to try and unplugging everything usb and trying to start it to see if the error code changes. So I'm going to give that a go real quick. It seems like it has something to do with the USB slots, I just cant comprehend why something like that wouldnt allow it to format.

FAT32? No, just, no. Or are you talking about the USB drives? I think ED was referring to the drive you're installing the OS on. If that is formatted in FAT32 then that would be your problem.

Drives you're installing an OS on must be initialized, then formatted. Windows 10 should take care of the formatting but I'm not sure about initialization.

W10 (or any version of windows) will not initialize a drive.

Haturee, when you installed windows, the drives were recognized, right? You didn't have to initialize them, just format, correct?

Initialized? They both pop up in the bios? I can change the boot order and what not If that's what you mean.

how are you making your installer? I don't use Win10 but for Win7 you needed to make the installer USB slightly differently for a uefi installation media

https://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/321097-how-install-windows-7-uefi-mode-usb.html

An installation USB made this way would not work unless the bios was set to uefi. legacy wouldn't even see it.

just looked it up and Win10 has similar options available

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support

Initialized? They both pop up in the bios? I can change the boot order and what not If that's what you mean.
No.. when you install windows, you can select them to install and format, correct?

...and what knoober said! lol

It wont even let me anything.

Ive explained it the best I can I think.

I have now tried to remove the hdd and plug it into a laptop to try and format it that way (Vie usb to sata cord(That I typically use for my SSD on my xbox))
But when I plug it in the disk management doesnt want to work? I can see the disk but it doesnt say size and wont let me initialize the drive, Screenshots. dm.png dm2.png

Download and install Mini Tool Partition Wizard on a working computer and, using a USB drive cradle, connect the storage drives you want to use on the system build your are having trouble with to the aother working computer. Launch Mini Tool Partition Wizard and check to see if the storage drives you are having trouble with are partitioned in GPT or MBR. If the motherboard of the system you are building is using a UEFI bios, then your system drive must be partitioned in GPT. If it is not in GPT, use Mini Tool Partition Wizard to change in from MBR to GPT.

GPT is a better partition scheme than MBR for several reasons, one being it allows you to use partitions/drives larger than 2TB. MBR is limited to 2TB partitions.

This is building on the question that ED asked in post #4 that you never responded to. Partition schemes are different than file systems such as FAT and NTFS. Two different things.

Last edited:
I will try that, but why would that stop it from installing from disk?
If I try to boot from disk with the uefi option I get an aorus logo and a code 78. If I try to boot from disk legacy, I get a windows logo and frozen on a code a0.

Where I'm at now is I installed windows to go on a 250gb ssd and ran that. Its booted up into windows to go now and I can do everything functionally from there. The problem is windows to go wont let me install regular windows from it. So I'm at a stand still again. Does anyone know a work around for that?

the Minitool that trents mentioned is great but if you are comfortable with command line then there is already a built in tool that will help you with your HDD.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

I am not sure why you went with Windows To Go? Also WTG is not an installer it is a mini version of windows that is meant to be run from a USB stick, or external storage.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

^^this link will help you make a proper installation USB stick.

I used command line to do most of the activating partitions and swapping and stuff, learned a whole lot through this ordeal.

I mainly went with that because I could install it from another pc on to a drive and eliminate the possibility of it being hard were related.

Because the drive is in the pc and booted windows to go I know it's not hardware now. I just have to figure out why windows 10 wont install and is freezing up.

I'm about to try windows 7 to see if that will go.

Try a fresh download from MS? Your install media may just be corrupted. If you don't want the MS installer and just want the Windows 10 .iso you can go to the download page for W10 (using Internet Explorer) and hit the F12 key. In the bottom left corner of the box that opens go to the menu at User Agent String and select Apple iPad. The MS server will think you aren't on a Windows OS and let you download the W10 .iso without installer.

I mainly went with that because I could install it from another pc on to a drive and eliminate the possibility of it being hard were related.

Because the drive is in the pc and booted windows to go I know it's not hardware now.

okay fair enough. and you are right that now we know the hardware isn't the issue. this is a good a neccesary step in the process. for future reference there are easier ways, but I'm sure you will run across them as time goes on.

[QUOTE ] I just have to figure out why windows 10 wont install and is freezing up [/quote]

I have seen similar behavior to this with an improperly made installer. if you are certain that you made your installer USB correctly and have the bios set to handle the way you made it, then I am at a loss.

[QUOTE ] I'm about to try windows 7 to see if that will go.[/QUOTE]

This is an option. If you encounter the same issues it might help other wiser folks with the troubleshooting.

Good luck :D

Edit: I was thinking about this and I'm not sure Win7 plays nice with new chipsets out of the box. There is a thread here in the forums about how to install Win7 on newer hardware if you have issues.

Last edited:
I have tried both the media installer amd the iso option from Microsoft's creation tool. Both to no avail.

I did it this way because the q codes that are popping are for usb issues and ram issues and they are clearly inaccurate.

I'm pretty sure I've made the drive correctly, I've done it about 100 times now with 4 different flash drives trying to get it to work.

Thebdrustration level is defenitly overwhelming at this point. Really hoping windows 7 will work.

Back