• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows asks for phone number and then nothing happens

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

So I'm trying to install windows 10 on a friends laptop and when it comes to "do you want to add your phone number part" no matter what I choose nothing happens. It doesn't freeze, it just doesn't show anything but the blue background. Anyone know how to fix this?

Legit copy? Downloaded from MS/media creation tool?

I dont recall windows ever asking for a phone #...

Again, I dont recall windows ever asking for a phone bumber...

So..... what app is asking for it? Details are helpful, bud. :)

Edit: MS account number??

Last edited:
It's Microsoft account verification. It doesn't do anything because windows 10 is stupid that way sometimes.

This happens when you first go to activate a fresh install on certain builds. I've seen it personally. I believe it has something to do with MS wanting you to 'login' to an existing acct and/or activate a new one. Needless to say I gave them an 800 lol. Only lucky people get that question. It's the new Hookups from MS.

If you create a local machine account during install you won't get that. I always install using a local machine account. Microsoft doesn't need any more information about me than they already have.

Back