• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Boot Manager is Missing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JustDepends

My rig consists of a an SSD and a regular HDD. My windows, obviously, is stored on the SSD and I use the HDD for miscellaneous storage. And everything was working perfectly. Then I bought a new storage drive, because I needed to use the old one for another build. So I installed the new drive, assigned it a letter and carried all of my files from the old drive onto it. I then formatted my old drive, partitioned it and removed it. Everything was working fine until I noticed that my computer would no longer sleep. Once I turned it off it would not boot up. With the error, "Bootmgr is missing." So I Googled and Googled and found a common fixes for the problem, but they didn't work for me. This includes putting in my Windows Disc (Windows 7) and pressing start up repair, as well as opening the command prompt and using Bootrec.exe. Both did not help my problem.

Then I put my old drive in a new computer, installed another version of Windows on it and booted up. I was prompted with a boot manager, asking me to choose between that new OS as well as Windows 7, but there was no Windows 7 on the disk. So from that I believe that the boot manager was somehow stored on my old drive and not on my SSD, does that make any sense?

Anyways, now I have no way to use my computer at all. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to fix it. Or maybe a way that I could atleast boot into Windows? I've heard that you can use the Windows disc to load Windows without a boot manager. But I haven't been able to do that.

So any suggestions would be helpful. I would like to avoid doing a fresh install if possible. I want to at least get on my computer one more time, because there are still some important files on the SSD.

Last edited:
• To edit the boot menu on a separate hard drive [drive disconnected from its system and temporarily connected to another system], use EasyBCD to correctly set the booting process on the temporarily attached hard drive
http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1
[Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]
or
http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=642

EasyBCD > File > Select BCD Store >

1. First Browse to the ROOT directory of the temporarily attached drive
2. Then type BOOT\BCD > Open

This will open the *.bcd file inside the hidden BOOT folder on another drive and inside its BCD subfolder.

Grab a Linux Live CD and copy anything you need from the drive. Will be way less painful than dealing with Microsoft's boot loader.

Could you please put your system's spec on your sig? If your board supports UEFI, you should make profit of this situation and replace your SSD's partition table, from MBR to GPT, and install Win7 with UEFI properly.

Back