• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows can't fax or preview the attached file type - Problems with Windows FAX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Symptoms: You can't preview the FAX. Something flashes on the screen, but disappears too quickly to be seen.

The solution may have something to do with this:

"When you fax a document, the Fax service searches for the document type that is attached to the fax message. Then, the Fax service calls the print to verb for that document type. If the call to the print to verb is successful, the Fax service generates a Tagged Image File Format (.tif) output file to represent the document that is attached to the fax message.

Because .*** documents do not support the print to verb, the Fax service cannot generate a .tif file to represent the .*** document."

Many threads on the world wide web on the problem with no solution. Save As > .tif does not help.

I think it may have something to do with file types, if you change default program which opens a file type and its printo command. Let's try to figure this one out, any ideas?

Edit: I believe I may be on to the root cause:
Certain Problem File Types no longer have print and printto associations in its properties. I don't know how to correctly add these back.

Last edited:
Figured it out!

Maybe someone can post how to do it manually, but what I did is this. The reason "everyone" is having problems with Windows FAX is that the fie type they are trying to Fax no longer has the printto command associated with it.

I used this freeware:
http://izt.name/apps/types/

Let's say you can't fax a .jpg file.

1. Open the freeware program and type inside it jpg
This will automatically scroll down the list of extensions to jpg.

2. Double click on jpg to open its options.

3. Actions TAB

4. Next to green + type in
printto

5. Click on green +

6. Select newly added printto

7. Next to yellow folder icon paste this
rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_PrintTo /pt "%1" "%2" "%3" "%4"

Exit program.

Repeat for all file types you are having problems faxing.

.bmp .gif .giff .jpe .jpeg .jpg .pbm .png .tif .tiff
.pdf .doc .xls

Back