• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Clean Install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thobel

How often do you guys tend to do a clean Install?

On my main system I do it about every 6months
On my HTPC's I tend to do every 12 Months
On my Servers I tend to only do on a Major Upgrade

ONCE :)

Partition hard drive. Install only small apps on the OS partition. [Instead of installing large programs/games to C:\Program Files, maybe install them to E:\Program Files.]

Image OS partition. When windows starts acting up - reimage OS partition.

It's like having a fresh Windows install in 5 minutes.

ONCE :)

Partition hard drive. Install only small apps on the OS partition. [Instead of installing large programs/games to C:\Program Files, maybe install them to E:\Program Files.]

Image OS partition. When windows starts acting up - reimage OS partition.

It's like having a fresh Windows install in 5 minutes.

yeah I keep an image but alot of times I decide i want to change how I set something up etc

I keep a txt file of every monthly change I make so that I can go back and figure out what caused a problem.

Dual boots allow quick imaging of multiple versions of the other OS installation. I test something out for a while before making it part of a permanent installation. Keeping images on another hard drive and directly imaging/reimaging like that means I can reimage the entire OS faster than I can diagnose the smallest of problems.

Seconds after noticing something doesn't feel right, I nuke the entire OS and it's reimaged before even getting back from a short bathroom break. :shrug:

Back