• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows does not ask folder credentials

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shant

Hello everyone,
i will try to explain my setup. so i have a file server with openmediavault installed which is linux based.
i have created a folder named "New Folder", shared with SMB/CIFS and a user by the name "Shant1993" in OMV, i gave only user "Shant1993" permissions to "New Folder"

now i went to my main desktop pc which is signed in with the user account "[email protected]" and suddenly i can access "New Folder" without windows asking me for credentials,
i went to my brothers laptop, i tried to access "New Folder" and it said that i don't have permission to access it, which lets to my questions.

How does windows allow access to "New Folder" from my personal pc, how does it know its me?
Why is windows saying i don't have permissions to "New Folder" without asking me credentials on my brothers pc? what if i wanted to access these files from another pc?
How can i make windows ask for login Credentials?

I am running Windows 10, my brother runs windows 8.1 and there's another computer on the network that runs windows 7, which i did not test on yet.

Thanks.

Is your username on the desktop "Shant1933"?
If you're not sure, check in C:/Users and find the folder for your user profile.

Hm, I'll have to wait for others to reply, it has been a long time since I've used SMB in Linux.

The easiest way to allow other users access, is to add required user accounts, with proper credentials, to the server running the smb share.
Windows uses user accounts for logins, defined in the 'Credential Manager'.
You can also define credentials other than the currently logged in user on windows, by adding them to 'Credential Manager' (found in control panel or by searching 'Credential Manager' through the start menu). Once in 'Credential Manager', click 'Windows Credentials', then 'Add a Windows credential'. Insert server name (\\OMVservername), User name (Shant1993 in this case), and Password for smb share. Press Ok to save, then try accessing the share again.

This works great, however if lets say i wanted to temporarily access the folder from another pc, i have to add and remove my user from Credential manager everytime?
or lets say "New Folder" has full permissions for both "Shant1993" and "Brother", since windows is not asking me with which user i would log in with, i cannot keep file logs by users on the server side.
The perfect solution would be if windows asked my Credentials every time i try to open the folder.

Edit: it turns out if Guest is enabled on any folder, windows automatically tries to access folders with guest permission, what i had done was i had a folder named "Files" with Guests allowed option enabled, and then i had the subfolder "New Folder" with "Shant1993" permissions, even though i didn't enable recursive permissions on "files" folder.
what i did was create two separate folders "Files" and "New Folder", without "New Folder" being a subfolder in files.
i also removed the user "Shant1993" in windows credentials manager.
now windows asks me for a username and a password when i click on the folder, but for some reasons it says i don't have permissions to access it...

Last edited:
i don't understand, if i remove the user "Shant1993" from Credentials manager in windows, and let windows ask pop up for credentials for me to enter, it doesn't let me in! if i add my user "Shant1993" in Credentials Manager, i can access the folder normally, whats going on?

edit: trying to log in from my brothers laptop, i clicked on the folder, it poped up asking me the username and password, i entered it and it worked, i was in without using credentials manager. why can't i do this on my personal desktop?

Last edited:
i don't understand, if i remove the user "Shant1993" from Credentials manager in windows, and let windows ask pop up for credentials for me to enter, it doesn't let me in! if i add my user "Shant1993" in Credentials Manager, i can access the folder normally, whats going on?

edit: trying to log in from my brothers laptop, i clicked on the folder, it poped up asking me the username and password, i entered it and it worked, i was in without using credentials manager. why can't i do this on my personal desktop?

Wait. I'm confused. It sounds like you are saying just the opposite of what you said in your first post.

Back