• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Home Server 2011 alerts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wathnix

I have Windows Home Server 2011 at my place and have several clients on it. My problem is that the server keeps popping up warnings on some (but not all) of them saying that a service is not running on the client. When I refresh the alert it goes away and it only seems to affect the older, slower clients. I strongly suspect that the WHS client software is checking the system status before the client has completed booting up and starting all it's services

so what I am wondering is if there is a way to delay the startup of the WHS client software on the clients to prevent this. Any ideas?

If your running Vista or 7 on those clients, goto Services > Windows Home Server Connector Service, and set it for Automatic (Delayed Start). This will start the service 1 minute after Windows has booted. You can also set other Automatic starting, unimportant services with the same setting to help speed up the boot.

I'm not sure how you can make the delay longer on non-Vista/7 systems. There is a program I ran across once (can't remember the name or where) when I was looking into delayed starts myself, but I never bothered with it since the built in delayed start works for my need, but it may allow further customization of delayed starts (again, I never used it so I don't know for sure if it does but I could have sworn it does).

Back