• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows on a flash drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imposter

Is there anyway of getting windows on a flash drive. I am tired of using my cdrom to install windows, and wondering is there anyway to put the image on flash drive, so you can just boot from that.

is this even legal?

Thanks!

Do you mean a copy of the windows install cd on a flash drive so you can install from that instead of a cd? F*****g good idea :). I dont have a flash drive so I can't check but IMHO if the m/b supports booting from usb it could be done as long as you could copy everything from the cd, including the 'un seen' bootable bit. As far as legal, it should be as it is only used to install a single copy as is the cd. Have a go and post the results,

I like results:attn:

Tried giving it a shot on my SD drive, no go didn't boot from it. Then again it didn't really format the drive. I'll try it again tomorrow after school.

maybe its just too slow. hdtach gave it 6.5 mbps. I'm thinking about buying a 4GB flash drive soon.

Here -> USBoot

What is it ?

USBoot is a package that helps in the preparation of Windows 2000 / XP / 2003 for booting from USB storage devices by providing extensive support for automated installation and configuration of drivers especially of setup class USB.

Yep, good for running burning CPU like Orthos, Prime etc especially on high really OC without worrying corrupting the main OS drive.

Hint..hint... really suitable for getting a screen shot or validation on a "real" suicide OC. :D

DO NOt TRY THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it deletes hard drives!!! Ill back to you on this! in the process of getting back data!

yeah, *concept*
lets delete my partition, which contains the /file system/ (a system of files, people) and then complain that it deletes your "hard drives"

yeah.

Back